Editorial: Delta flights provide lift for the Mid-Valley

http://159.54.226.83/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070609/OPINION/706090304/1048

OPINION: Delta flights provide lift for the Mid-Valley

Using the Salem airport will benefit area's economy

June 9, 2007

Mid-Valley residents have welcomed Salem's new Delta
connection mainly for the travel time they'll save.
But the Salem-Salt Lake City flights will boost the
local economy as well.

Take the car-rental counter at the airport. Normally,
it's a quiet spot where Hertz and Budget agents vie
for the occasional walk-in traveler. But on Thursday,
arriving passengers on the first flight from Salt Lake
City rented four cars, said a happy Lucinda Holzman,
the Hertz agent. She had 25 reservations lined up for
later this month.

The new flights mean new jobs, too. The Transportation
Security Administration has hired eight new workers
and transferred three more to McNary Field. SkyWest
has hired 18 full-and part-time employees to work the
Salem ticket counter, load baggage and direct planes.
Their salaries will circulate through the local
economy as they pay for goods, services and taxes.

The city's million-dollar investment in the new
security screening building and upgrades to the
airport terminal already are in progress. Local
businesses got the contracts, said Linda Norris,
assistant city manager. That sent tax money back out
into the community once more.

Fuel for SkyWest airplanes. Taxi fares to bring
incoming passengers to town. Meals that visitors buy
in restaurants. Motel stays. Room taxes paid on motel
stays. Improvements to the city's historic buildings,
paid for by room taxes. It adds up.

No one expects every one of those 36,000 seats a year
to Salt Lake City and 36,000 return seats to be
filled. But even half of those would boost the
Mid-Valley's bottom line.

That's money in our local pockets instead of in the
Portland metropolitan area when people fly through
PDX. Money for our neighbors' paychecks, for our local
businesses and for taxes to keep our cities and
counties strong.

And the more local people who fly out of SLE, the
better this airport will look when Delta officials
consider adding a second destination. The better it
will look when Horizon or some other airline considers
jumping in.

Save time and invest in the Mid-Valley's future: Fly
Salem.

Copyright 2007 Statesman Journal, Salem, Oregon