Re: European skyway robbery

Hi,

I think this is a really disingenuous article.

The info about the 20kg weight limit isn't hidden=20
away on the website at all. It is clear that one=20
has that limit irrespective of the number of bags=20
- just like UA, BA, etc.. It is just that you pay=20
less on the initial fare for less bags, which seems fair to me.
Rather, and forgive the cynic in me, he took the=20
hit specifically to write the article, knowing=20
full well the weight restrictions and that he would be overcharged,.

Regards,

Alastair

>  The counter agent at easyJet claimed I was 40=20
> kilograms (88 pounds) over. How could that be?=20
> I had checked the box. I had spent the extra=20
> money for the second bag for two people =97thus=20
> we were checking in two bags each =97 and each=20
> was 20 kilos or less in weight. I had been careful not to overpack.
>   But the airline still claimed I was 40 kilos=20
> over, and they were going to charge me. I=20
> wasn=92t happy, but there was nothing I could do.=20
> Was the charge $25? $50? Hardly. The excess bag=20
> charges for one 48 minute flight from the U.K.=20
> to Paris: a whopping $514.69!  I was trapped.=20
> Had no choice but to pay. And two days later,=20
> on another easyJet flight, they charged me $585.62.
>   How did this happen? Turns out it=92s all in=20
> the fine print. Yes, for an additional charge I=20
> am allowed to check in a second bag on easyJet,=20
> but the airline does not increase the weight=20
> allowance no matter how many additional bags you check!
>   As a result, I had paid less than $200 for=20
> two people to fly on two separate easyJet=20
> flights with baggage that was well within the=20
> size and weight limits of any U.S.  domestic or=20
> international carrier. And the bag charges? $1,100.31!
>   Now comes the absurd part: I went back and=20
> checked the advertised fares for the flights I=20
> was on. I could have easily stopped a total of=20
> 20 strangers at the airport and offered them a=20
> free trip to Paris or London =97 round trip =97 for=20
> what it cost two people to check in an additional one bag each!
>   In my entire flying and journalism experience=20
> of reporting airline ripoffs and draconian=20
> charges, easyJet is easy all right =97 it easily=20
> wins the most abusive overcharging award.
>   I did some checking to see what it would have=20
> cost me to courier 44 kilos to Paris, not from=20
> London, but from Los Angeles: $200.75 on DHL,=20
> and delivered to my hotel in Paris.
>   I also checked on how much my round trip fare=20
> (plus my companion's) would have been on Air=20
> France flying from Heathrow to Charles de=20
> Gaulle: $283 each, with two checked bags each=20
> allowed, or $566, substantially less than the=20
> $1,100 bag charges plus the easyJet airfare.
>   EasyJet is by no means the only carrier=20
> attempting to get away with skyway robbery.=20
> British Airways has recently instituted the one=20
> bag rule (plus excessive excess bag charges on=20
> the second bag) on their flights from Heathrow=20
> just about everywhere except the United State.
>   And low cost carrier Ryanair is even worse.=20
> Their weight limit per passenger for checked=20
> bags isn't 20 kilos, It's just 15! But as in my=20
> case with easyJet, most people won't discover=20
> this until they're already at the airport, and=20
> it=92s too late to do anything except pay.
>   On the Ryanair Web site (www.ryanair.com),=20
> much like easyJet, you can quickly book=20
> inexpensive flights. For example, with only two=20
> [...]

***************************************
Dr. Alastair T. Gardiner

Level 2
Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre
Institute of Biomedical & Life Sciences
University of Glasgow
126 University Place
Glasgow G12 8TA
Scotland

Tel. (+44) 141 330 8119 (office) or 6448 (lab)
Fax. (+44) 141 330 3779
E-mail. atg3v@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.gla.ac.uk/ibls/BMB/rjc/agardiner.html