Fwd: New low-cost SFO flights may boost travel, tourism business

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "4/27 SF Examiner" <batn@...> wrote:

Published Friday, April 27, 2007, by the San Francisco Examiner

New SFO flights may boost area business

JetBlue will be the first of three new low-cost carriers to begin
service at SFO. Southwest and Virgin America will follow suit in the
summer.

By Kate Williamson
kwilliamson@...

Tourism and hospitality industry officials anticipate an uptick in
local business as a result of new flights to San Francisco
International Airport.

"I don't think people really realize the impact of Jet Blue, Virgin
America and Southwest all coming here within a few months of each
other," San Francisco Convention and Visitors Bureau CEO Joe
D'Alessandro said. "It really adds up."

SFO expects to see a 4 percent to 5 percent increase in the number
of
passengers this year from the nearly 20 million it now serves and a
12 percent to 13 percent increase next year, airport spokesman Mike
McCarron said.

That could be good news for travel and tourism, a $7 billion-plus
industry that in San Francisco alone supports more than 66,000 jobs,
according to SFCVB statistics.

JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) will be the first of three new low-cost
carriers to begin service at SFO on Thursday. It starts with four
round-trip flights a day between San Francisco and New York City,
one
round-trip to Boston, and a round-trip to Salt Lake City starting in
late July, spokesman Bryan Baldwin said.

Later this summer, low-cost competitors Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV)
and Virgin America plan to begin flights. Southwest has said it will
announce its schedule and feeder cities May 11, while Virgin America
has said that, pending still-ongoing federal clearance, it will
start
service to New York and add Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, San Diego
and Las Vegas within nine months.

Domestic carriers American Airlines (AMR), Alaska Airlines (ALK) and
Frontier (FRNT) are also starting new flights.

Add to these flights increased international flights by Aer Lingus,
United Airlines (UAUA) and Qantas Airways (QUBSF.PK).

Both the low-cost and international flights are likely to increase
tourism, Bay Area Economic Forum President Sean Randolph said.
Hilton
San Francisco General Manager Mark Everton said it is too soon to
see
increased bookings out of those flights, but that he does anticipate
them.

Meanwhile, the visitors bureaus are engaged in efforts to promote
San
Francisco as a destination to those new feeder cities, D'Alessandro
and San Mateo County Convention and Visitors Bureau CEO Anne LeClair
said.

"What we've done is talk with Virgin America about what kind of
partnerships we can carry out, and we've done the same with
Southwest," LeClair said. "We anticipate a big demand, and we plan
do a big push on meeting planners in those feeder cities as soon as
they're announced."

Both Southwest and Virgin also said they are hiring, with Virgin
having already brought on 200 and planning on 800 more jobs within
a year's time. Southwest did not have figures available.

[BATN: See also:

New low-cost carrier flights likely to push SFO fares lower
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/34261

SFO-based Virgin America finally gets tentative OK to fly
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/34207

SFO-based Virgin America finally gets tentative OK to fly
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/34207

"Southwest effect" expected to trim other airline fares at SFO
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BATN/message/33661

Southwest Airlines to return to SFO

--- End forwarded message ---

If you wish to unsubscribe from the AIRLINE List, please send an E-mail to:
"listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".  Within the body of the text, only write the following:"SIGNOFF AIRLINE".