From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Bill Hough
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:55 AM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SFGate: Senators push passenger bill of rights

=3D20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D3D/c/a/2007/04/12/MNG9FP=
6
V2V=3D
1.DTL
Thursday, April 12, 2007 (SF Chronicle)
Senators push passenger bill of rights
Adam Schreck, Los Angeles Times

   (04-12) 04:00 PDT Washington -- The way Kate Hanni tells it, a
holiday
trip that left her family stuck inside a grounded airliner for nine
hours
without food, running water or working toilets amounted to cruel and
inhumane treatment that no passenger should have to endure.
   So infuriated was she about the ordeal in December that she and her
husband started a coalition of fed-up fliers to press for an
industrywide
passenger bill of rights. Earlier this year, after JetBlue's
cancellations
of hundreds of flights that stranded thousands of passengers, their
cause
caught the attention of lawmakers on Capitol Hill.
   On Wednesday, the Napa resident appeared before a Senate panel to
lend
support to a bill by Sens. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and Olympia Snowe,
R-Maine, that would create a federally mandated set of rights to
supplement the voluntary guidelines airlines follow now.
   "This winter's events make clear that the airlines have failed to
live up
to their promises, and it is time to literally lay down the law," Boxer
said during at the first hearing on the bill by the Senate Committee on
Commerce, Science and Transportation.
   The measure would allow stuck passengers to get off an aircraft after
three hours on the ground, unless the pilot believes the plane soon
would
be cleared to depart or if letting passengers off would compromise
safety.
The bill also would require airlines to provide food, drinking water and
adequate restrooms.
   The legislation's requirements are, its sponsors say, a modest
approach
that would impose little hardship on airlines, which are still
recovering
from the downturn in travel after the Sept. 11 attacks.
   "The time has come to at least demand a reasonably based position,"
Snowe
said.
   Rep. Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena, has introduced similar legislation
in
the House.
   Calvin Scovel, the Transportation Department's inspector general,
stopped
short of endorsing a legislated passenger bill of rights but did tell
lawmakers that airlines need to do more to improve customer service. A
2006 audit by his office found that only five of the 12 airlines that
had
signed on to a voluntary 1999 customer service commitment were ready to
meet their promises -- including seeing to passengers' essential needs
during delays.
   Airlines oppose mandated customer-service requirements. James May,
the
president and chief executive officer of the Air Transport Association
of
America, a trade group representing major airlines, pointed out that
hours
long delays are relatively rare and warned that the proposed legislation
could lead to further delays and cancellations.
   He said market forces, not Congress, ought to dictate how they treat
the=3D
ir
passengers. "The reputations that the airlines earn for good service is
the currency they have to offer in the marketplace," he said.
   But Boxer called May's testimony incredulous and arrogant.
   "We've put together something that you should embrace, it seems to
me, a=3D
nd
work with us on instead of fighting with us," she said angrily.