SFGate: Delta Plans More Asset Sales

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2007/03/27/financial/=
f071139D07.DTL
Tuesday, March 27, 2007 (AP)
Delta Plans More Asset Sales
By HARRY R. WEBER, AP Business Writer

   (03-27) 10:31 PDT ATLANTA (AP) --

   Delta Air Lines Inc. expects to emerge from bankruptcy protection April =
30
with an eye on improving customer service and selling more assets to build
shareholder value, it said Tuesday, raising the possibility it could shed
feeder carrier Comair.

   While the nation's third-biggest airline did not say in documents prepar=
ed
for an investor conference what assets it plans to sell, Chief Financial
Officer Ed Bastian suggested that Delta subsidiary Comair Inc. could be a
target.

   "We will, once we're out of bankruptcy, look at whether owning that
business makes a lot of sense," Bastian said at the investor conference.

   During a teleconference later with reporters, Bastian elaborated that
Atlanta-based Delta's effort to maximize returns for shareholders may mean
"spinning off certain assets, such as Comair."

   Erlanger, Ky.-based Comair is a regional carrier that provides connecting
service for Delta.

   The investor documents, which Delta filed with the Securities and Exchan=
ge
Commission, suggested Delta may have moved up the date of its planned
emergence from Chapter 11. It had said in a statement March 20 it expected
to emerge from bankruptcy in early May. Bastian told reporters that early
May is when Delta's new stock is expected to be listed on an exchange.
Delta sought bankruptcy protection from creditors in September 2005.

   Delta is expected to announce later this week who will serve on its
post-bankruptcy board of directors. The board will pick a new chief
executive officer to replace Gerald Grinstein, who has said he plans to
step down sometime after Delta exits Chapter 11.

   Grinstein told investors at the conference that he hopes the new 11-memb=
er
board is announced by Friday. He said the official committee of unsecured
creditors in Delta's bankruptcy case will choose the board. At least three
of its members will be current board members. Grinstein said he would stay
on the board until his successor as CEO is named.

   He said his strong preference for a successor is an internal candidate.
Bastian and Chief Operating Officer James Whitehurst are considered by
many to be leading internal candidates for the top job.

   "My persuasive powers will be brought to bear to see if we can make an
internal selection and do it quickly," Grinstein said. "At that point, my
role has ended."

   Bastian told reporters Tuesday he expects the new board will bring fresh
thinking to the table and will ultimately make its own decision about the
next CEO, but he believes "Jerry's years of experience in this industry
will certainly be well respected and regarded by the board."

   Grinstein also addressed questions about industry consolidation and where
Delta factors in.

   Grinstein said he doesn't think it is the right time for major airlines =
merge.

   "I do think that is going to be deferred for several years, three or four
years," said Grinstein, whose company earlier this year successfully
fought off a hostile bid by Tempe, Ariz.-based US Airways Group Inc. to
buy Delta. "Do I think six network carriers are too many? No, I don't."

   As for Delta and its role in possible consolidation, Grinstein said,
"Frankly, I see its future more as an acquirer rather than being
acquired."

   Grinstein said it's not out of the question that a major carrier could b=
uy
a low-cost carrier.

   Grinstein said his opinion about consolidation among major carriers could
change if another carrier makes a move.

   "If another merger were to take place, it would have a significant forci=
ng
impact on Delta, and Delta would have to look at its options," Grinstein
said.

   But he said putting big airlines together is easier said than done &#821=
2;
especially blending the cultures of different companies.

   "You have to really look at whether you want to take that on, and I have=
high degree of skepticism," Grinstein said.

   Delta said its objectives for this year, in addition to exiting
bankruptcy, include achieving the financial commitments in its
transformation plan, boosting margins and building cash for long-term
strength.

   It will continue to expand its international service, with a special foc=
us
on its service from New York City's John F. Kennedy International Airport.

   Delta said in the investor documents it also wants to improve baggage
handling, streamline and enhance customer service and improve the
operational performance of the feeder carriers that service its Delta
Connection flights.

   The company's plan to "unlock shareholder value" includes building on its
maintenance repair and overhaul business and "further monetization of
assets," a phrase that refers to the sale of assets.

   Bastian said Delta is projecting a pretax profit, excluding special and
reorganization items, of $816 million in 2007. Delta is forecasting a
narrower loss of $25 million to $50 million in the first quarter, which
ends Saturday. He said Delta expects to get a positive vote of creditors
on the airline's reorganization plan, which he said should be approved by
the bankruptcy court after a hearing April 25.

   ___

   On the Net:

   Delta Air Lines Inc.: