Re: links to SEA Times 787 Sunday feature

On Mar 11, 2007, at 7:30 PM, Gerard M Foley wrote:
> I'll have to admit the composite vertical stabilizer fell off that
> AA A300 Airbus over Jamaica Bay, though.

The comprehensive analysis exonerated the composites. The proximate
cause of the accident was excessive rudder input by the FO, with a
contributing cause being the design of the rudder system.  The NTSB
press release said, "The Board found that the composite material used
in constructing the vertical stabilizer was not a factor in the
accident because the tail failed well beyond its certificated and
design limits."

--
Michael C. Berch
(fan of composite aircraft)