SFGate: Man OK After Airborne Scorpion Bite

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2007/01/09/national/a=
130009S25.DTL
Tuesday, January 9, 2007 (AP)
Man OK After Airborne Scorpion Bite
By DAVID GRAM, Associated Press Writer

   (01-09) 15:02 PST Montpelier, Vt. (AP) --

   The scorpion bit David Sullivan on the back of his right leg, just below
the knee, crawled up through his crotch and down his left leg, he thinks,
before getting him again in the shin. Not what he was expecting on his
flight home from Chicago to Vermont.

   Sullivan, a 46-year-old builder from Stowe, was aboard the United Airlin=
es
flight as the second leg of his trip home from San Francisco, where he and
his wife Helena had been visiting their sons. He awoke from a nap shortly
before landing and noticed something strange.

   "My right leg felt like it was asleep, but that was isolated to one spot,
and it felt like it was being jabbed with a sharp piece of plastic or
something."

   The second sting came after the plane had landed and the Sullivans were
waiting for their bags at the luggage carousel. Sullivan rolled up his
cuff to investigate, and the scorpion fell out.

   "It felt like a shock, a tingly thing. Someone screamed, 'It's a
scorpion,'" Sullivan recalled. Another passenger stepped on the two-inch
arachnid. Someone suggested Sullivan seek medical help.

   He scooped up the scorpion as a specimen and headed to the hospital in
Burlington. Mrs. Sullivan stopped at the United counter and was told the
plane they were on had flown from Houston to Chicago. The Sullivans
surmised the scorpion boarded in Texas.

   "The airlines tell you you can't bring water or shampoo on a plane," Mrs.
Sullivan said, referring to recent security restrictions. "All the
security we go through" apparently didn't apply to the scorpion, she said.

   United spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said the incident "is something that we
will investigate and look into. We're very sorry for what happened. Our
customer safety and security is our No. 1 priority."

   Scorpion bites are rarely fatal, most often only to babies and older
people with other medical problems, said Dr. Stephen Leffler, director of
emergency services at Burlington's Fletcher Allen Health Care hospital.

   "We don't see many scorpion bites in Vermont," Leffler said. Last week's
prompted him to do some research. To a healthy adult, a scorpion bite can
mean numbness or shooting pain extending out from the bite, or flu-like
symptoms, which Sullivan said he had the next day.

   "You're much more likely to die from an ... allergic reaction to a bee
sting," the doctor said.

   Sullivan said he was taking the experience in stride. "I've traveled
enough in tropical climates, Argentina, South America, to know about the
risks from insects and animals and microorganisms. ... It's a dangerous
world out there."

   He said he hadn't seen the recent movie, "Snakes on a Plane," starring
Samuel L. Jackson. "I'm pretty selective about what I see," Sullivan said.
Copyright 2007 AP