SFGate: UAL's Tilton Pitches for Airline Mergers

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2006/12/12/financial/=
f081958S58.DTL
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 (AP)
UAL's Tilton Pitches for Airline Mergers
By DAVE CARPENTER, AP Business Writer

   (12-12) 08:19 PST Chicago (AP) --

   The head of United Airlines parent UAL Corp. said Tuesday that
consolidation in the industry is overdue but remained silent on whether
his company is pursuing a merger with another U.S. carrier.

   UAL Chairman and CEO Glenn Tilton told analysts and investors that the
company will take advantage of consolidation opportunities on merits,
otherwise declining to comment specifically on one of the industry's
hottest topics.

   Speculation that UAL might make a bid for Continental Airlines Inc. or
Delta Air Lines Inc. proliferated last month after Tempe, Ariz.-based US
Airways Group Inc. made an unsolicited offer for Delta. Analysts said the
US Airways offer could touch off a long-expected round of consolidation
among U.S. network carriers.

   United's stock jumped Monday following an analyst's report suggesting th=
at
UAL could unveil a specific plan in conjunction with its first Investor
Day in years, with about 75 analysts and investors gathering at a Chicago
hotel to hear several hours of scheduled financial presentations Tuesday.

   But Tilton doused the speculation in his opening remarks, delivering a
familiar pitch on behalf of consolidation but without tipping his hand on
the strategy of the Elk Grove Village, Ill.-based company.

   "We think it (consolidation) is good and overdue for the industry, despi=
te
the fact that we acknowledge its difficulties," he said in remarks
broadcast on the Internet.

   "With respect to our company itself and our options, we clearly are not =
in
a position today to comment on anything specifically other than to say
that we are going to be attentive to opportunities as they present
themselves, and on your behalf we will take advantage of one when we think
it is to your benefit," Tilton said

   After rising 3.7 percent in speculative buying a day earlier, United
shares fell $1.85, or 4.2 percent, to $42.68 in morning trading on the
Nasdaq Stock Market.

   ___

   On the Net:

Copyright 2006 AP