SFGate: Dolphins' Owner Flies in Private Jet

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2006/11/19/financial/=
f101520S62.DTL
Sunday, November 19, 2006 (AP)
Dolphins' Owner Flies in Private Jet
By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

   (11-19) 10:15 PST Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (AP) --

   Wayne Huizenga's private Boeing jet made national news when it landed on
Christmas Eve 2004 at the airport in Baton Rouge, La.

   The arrival of the modified 737 with the Miami Dolphins logo on the tail
signaled that the team's owner was in town to court Louisiana State coach
Nick Saban.

   Part of Huizenga's pitch to Saban included a tour of the plane's custom
interior that includes recliner chairs, a card table and a shower. Saban
took the job the next day and later boarded the plane to fly to his
introductory news conference in South Florida.

   "It was outstanding," Saban said. "I've been on it a few times since the=
n,
and each time Wayne has beaten me in gin."

   Besides Baton Rouge, the plane has been to Australia and New Zealand, mu=
ch
of Europe, South Africa and Alaska. Huizenga uses it for both business and
pleasure, and with 27 seats, the plane offers plenty of room for friends
and family.

   "I travel a lot with the football team, and when I go with the football
team I take quite a few people," Huizenga said.

   He also arranges frequent golf trips to Scotland and Ireland with groups
that have included Saban and Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino. The
plane's roominess, subdued lighting and recliners that convert to beds
make such overseas flights more comfortable.

   "We sleep on the way and when we land, we get off the plane with our golf
shoes on, get in a helicopter and go to the golf course," Huizenga said.

   The plane is part of a veritable Huizenga air force. He owns six
helicopters, a Gulfstream IV executive jet and an older 737 that has been
chartered by such celebrities as Tom Cruise and Paul McCartney.

   Huizenga himself prefers the newer modified 737, a Boeing Business Jet
built in 1998. He paid $41 million for it, including $10.5 million for
custom design work.

   The wide recliners are scattered about a cabin roomy enough to hold up to
150 passengers when configured for an airline. There's a Dolphins logo on
the welcome mat, and video screens for almost every seat. Wall-to-wall
carpeting, wood trim and muted lighting create an ambiance akin to a
supper club.

   Near the back is a room that can be closed off from the rest of the cabin
for meetings or resting, with a couch and recliners that can be converted
into two full-size beds.

   "If Wayne goes anywhere, he usually rides this plane," said Bobby Klasse=
n,
a pilot for Huizenga-owned Victory Aviation. He said Huizenga doesn't tell
his pilots how to fly or show interest in doing the job himself.

   "Nah, he just lets us go," Klassen said with a laugh. "I think he's got =
it
figured out that the best seat's in the back." ----------------------------=
Copyright 2006 AP