Gordon Bethune uncensored (almost)

 =20

Gordon Bethune uncensored (almost)=20
The former Continental Airlines CEO has some candid words on ...=20
Thursday, September 14, 2006=20
Gordon Bethune, who was re vered as the chief executive at Continental Airl=
ines, may not be sitting in a corner office anymore, but he still has plent=
y of opinions about the airlines, the industry's notorious egos and what it=
 takes to effectively manage a business.=20
Nearly two years into retirement, Bethune, 65, still relishes the notion th=
at he doesn't spend time arguing with government officials and doesn't go h=
ome with his stomach tied up in knots. Yet, he continues to entertain offer=
s from the business world as if he might plunge back in any day -- if the r=
ight offer came along.=20
"What you got," he's apt to say, as if he's waiting for the perfect challen=
ge.=20
Earlier this week, we caught up with Bethune in Newark where he was schedul=
ed to attend a board of directors meeting at Prudential Financial.=20
-- Susan Todd You were recently named chairman of the board at Aloha Airlin=
es. Is that a sign that you haven't got the airline business out of your sy=
stem? It just means the people at Aloha think I can provide some good advic=
e and strategies for their future. I know the airline. It doesn't compete i=
n any way and on any route or in any segment with Continental. I'm not in a=
ny -- forget the legal -- emotional conflict. I like Hawaii, and it's not a=
 full-time job. When you were headed out the door at Continental, it sounde=
d like you might want another full-time job. Have you seri ously considered=
 any offers to run another airline? There are a number of opportunities tha=
t may never materialize, mostly because of testoste rone in the business. P=
eople who are running these dysfunctional companies like running them. I th=
ink what I said was who knows what the future's going to be. I wasn't adver=
se to picking up the phone and saying hello and listening. The stuff I've b=
een offered
 to do are things I don't want to do. One company wanted me to start nonsto=
p service from the New York area to Europe. I won't mention who. It was fun=
ny be cause they had talked to Bob Crandall, who is the retired chairman of=
 American Airlines. Bob e- mails me and says: "This guy is going to call yo=
u. He wants to start this new airline. He's got the money, and he seems ver=
y professional." I wrote Crandall back. I said: "I'm going to tell him no f=
or two reasons, Bob. One, I don't want to compete with my old company and t=
wo, I don't want to help him lose all his money. It's a stupid idea." There=
 are a lot of stupid ideas out there. I decline those opportunities. How do=
 you think the airline industry is doing these days? It's evolutionary, jus=
t like it's always been. It's going through a lot of changes. 9/11 has forc=
ed a lot of companies to modify their behavior, both in the way they deal w=
ith their employees and the way they deal in the marketplace. Take a look a=
t United,
 Delta, Northwest, US Air. Look at how much capacity they've pulled out. Yo=
u know who made them do that? The bankruptcy courts, the creditors' committ=
ee, because the guys who are running the companies, they don't want to do i=
t. They're all testosterone driven: Who's got the biggest airplanes, whose =
got the most, all that kind of crap. Well, that's never made anybody any mo=
ney. Why are the carriers still struggling so with profitability? I think a=
irlines are coming back because of the restructuring in the marketplace, th=
e restructuring even in the way that unions see their relationships with th=
e companies. Take a look at ALPA as a national organization. They've found =
they can't win if the company loses, nor can the company win if the union l=
oses. That's the kind of mantra we had at Continental 12 years ago. Working=
 together meant we all win or nobody wins. Take a look at the behavior in t=
he marketplace and all the acrimony you're seeing and the restructuring and=
 the lost
 pensions. You think people have learned anything here? There are no more p=
ension plans. People have learned you shouldn't make promises you can't kee=
p. People have learned promises, even though they're in writing and in cont=
racts, don't mean anything. People have said, "We've got to work toward a d=
ifferent end." There's another wave of merger speculation moving through th=
e industry. Are more likely to happen? That's logic. Have you ever tried to=
 predict what a crazy person's going to do. You say ... he'll never do that=
, but he just did it. You think, rightfully, Continental and United are two=
 companies that ought to get together and win the game decisively. But it t=
akes two sets of intellect and ob jectivity to do that, and it's not going =
to happen. Why do we have six big airlines? Do we need six? No. Would the m=
arketplace have the long-term stability of good employment and predictable =
careers and no bankruptcies, yes, it sure would. What keeps that from happe=
ning? The
 government has been almost paranoid about antitrust provisions, to the poi=
nt where they stifle any kind of consolidation. I think they may be getting=
 more amenable. (Doug) Parker's doing a good job at US Airways (which merge=
d with America West last year). He's a smart man. But those companies didn'=
t have any alternatives where other companies see alternatives. You mention=
ed the pairing of Continental and United. Tell us more about that. Well, it=
 would be strategic. Just take a look at it. United has Chicago, a huge mar=
ket, Denver, the West Coast. They have facilities in San Francisco and L.A.=
 that you can't replicate and never will. They have access beyond Tokyo, wh=
ich are governmental rights that Continental can't ever, ever get. They hav=
e access to London Heathrow, which Continental will never get. Continental =
owns New York, has the best European connections out of New York out of any=
body. And Latin America? It's the No. 2 carrier. It's got a huge operation =
in Houston,
 which is contiguous to Mexico. You put these two companies together, it's =
called checkmate. You've got to have people with an IQ of over 40 to figure=
 it out, and they kind of like what they're doing. I think Continental woul=
d be the management team, obvi ously, because they've got the expertise and=
 the track record investors would like and employees would bet on. Let's mo=
ve away from airlines. Did you know Alan Mulally at Boeing? Going to Ford i=
sn't exactly like jumping from Boeing to an airline company, but what advic=
e would you give him as he tries to turn Ford around? I'd tell him to use t=
he judgment and the team-building and the customer focus that he used at Bo=
eing. I mean, he doesn't need my advice, but cer tainly that's what got him=
 a long, long way. Why would you change now? You've got to give Bill Ford a=
 lot of credit. Here's a guy who is willing and, at least, cognizant of the=
 fact that you can't reformulate a company with the same old guys. You've g=
ot to have
 some new thinking. That takes some courage, but at the same time with the =
belief that it couldn't be worse. If Ford now learns to build cars with the=
 same customer appeal and integrity that Boeing builds airplanes, well ... =
wouldn't that be wonderful. So, I think, getting Mulally's a smart move. In=
 the Navy, whey they shuffled people from one job to the other, we used to =
call it a new deal from the same old deck. You know, what difference did it=
 make? Here, they've got a new player, a new way of looking at the business=
. It's got to be exciting for the people at Ford to think that something mi=
ght just happen. What are your thoughts on the troubles at Hewlett-Packard'=
s board? It just shows there's no substitute for good judgment. Judgment is=
 just one of those things. Maybe you can learn from others. I think you can=
. Judgment isn't an acquired skill. It's an innate skill. In hiring executi=
ves, that's what I always look for, good judgment. You don't know what's go=
ing to happen
 tomor row, but you know this guy usually has good judgment, he'll make the=
 right call. With all your free time, will you ever take up golf? No. There=
's too many other things I like to do.=20

=C2=A9 2006  The Star Ledger
=C2=A9 2006 NJ.com All Rights Reserved.
http://www.nj.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/business-4/1158212167223780.xml=
&coll=3D1