Flow Control

Friday I was in a Southwest 737 that waited about half an hour at the
gate in Columbus for clearance to start for Philadelphia.  We made the
flight in a couple of minutes over an hour, landing without delay.

Returning Sunday night the plane left the gate and spent an hour on the
taxiway, engines idling, moving half a dozen or more times, until we got
to the head of the line and took off for our hour and a quarter flight
to Columbus.

Does it cost much fuel to have the engines turning over, revving up to
move forward and so on for an hour, with a dozen or more planes in line?
Couldn't the same excellent flow control that holds at the gate for a
clear landing slot at the destination be used to hold at the gate until
it is really time to get out to the runway at the originating airport?

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://www.wilowud.net/
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley