Is Tomorrow Doomsday?

 =20
Is Tomorrow Doomsday?
August 21, 2006 12:52 PM
Asa Eslocker Reports:
While no extra safeguards are in place, U.S. law enforcement are not ignori=
ng the possible significance of tomorrow's date, August 22, a date that mar=
ks an important historic event on the Islamic calendar.=20
Internet websites have been full of speculation that it could be a target d=
ate for terrorists in commemoration of the return of the 12th imam, a suppo=
sed day of reckoning for Shiites.
August 22 was rumored by intelligence experts to be a possible date that th=
e London plotters would blow-up passenger planes headed towards the United =
States, though it is not known if the suspects were Shiite extremists.
This year, August 22 marks the holy day on the Islamic calendar that is the=
 day of reckoning for Shiites. Some Shiite sects believe that August 22 cou=
ld correspond to the end of the world. And just today, after much hype, Ira=
n has announced that it will continue to develop its nuclear program. To fo=
llowers of Iranian President Ahmadinejad, this is a well-timed affront to I=
srael, the United States and the world. The United Nations had given Iran u=
ntil the end of the month to respond, but Ahmadinejad had made it clear to =
all Iranians and the world that he intended to respond on the eve of August=
 22.
Whether or not this announcement is the end of Ahmadinejad's plans for Augu=
st 22, one expert says we will have to wait and watch.
"The only thing we can know is that the date was not chosen by accident," s=
aid Robert Spencer, Director of Jihadwatch.org and an adjunct fellow at the=
 Free Congress Foundation, a conservative think tank.  "It does seem very l=
ikely, very probable, that he has something major in mind, whether only a m=
ajor announcement or a major attack, we will soon see."
=C2=BB Click here for Brian Ross & Investigative Team's Homepage
August 21, 2006 | Permalink | User Comments (304)=20
Roger & Amanda La France