NWA workers facing layoffs take offense at money tips that include Dum pster diving

NWA workers facing layoffs take offense at money tips that include =

Dumpster diving

The Pioneer Press, Aug. 16, 2006

As if a pink slip weren't enough, some soon-to-be-laid-off employees =

say Northwest Airlines has insulted them by suggesting Dumpster =

diving, cheap dates and lowering the heat in their homes this winter =

to save money while they're out of work.

Northwest earlier this month sent the tips in a handbook to about 50 =

ground workers in North Dakota, Bozeman, Mont., and Austin, Texas, =

and posted the information on its employee Web site.

They are the first of several hundred ground workers who will lose =

their jobs as their work is outsourced to third parties under a =

concessions pact reached earlier this year.

Employee outrage has prompted Northwest to change parts of its =

handbook, called "Restructuring Q&A and Employee Support," and remove =

a list of 101 money-saving tips from its employee Web site.

"We do realize that some of the information in there might be a bit =

insincere and, for that, we do apologize," spokesman Roman Blahoski =

said. "There are some tips in there that are very useful and there =

are some tips that, looking back, were a bit insensitive."

It was the book's list of 101 money-saving ideas that some workers =

and their union, the International Association of Machinists, say =

went too far. "Don't be shy about pulling something you like out of =

the trash," suggested one tip.

"I realize that some person probably thought they were doing a world =

of good," said Bryan Dalzell, a Northwest customer service agent for =

27 years and a union steward in Bismarck, N.D. "It came across to us, =

after losing our jobs after a lifetime of work, as patronizing and =

rather insulting."

Northwest said an outside company assembled the information.

NEAS, the Waukesha, Wis.-based employee-assistance company whose name =

is in the handbook, declined to comment.

The book offers advice on coping with job loss =97 from information =

about financial counseling to tips on how to stay healthy. It also =

included an advertisement for Coldwell Banker to help sell a house. =

The money-saving tips included using old newspapers for cat litter, =

asking friends and family for hand-me-down clothes and asking a =

doctor for free prescription drug samples.

"How condescending to tell people to move to a cheaper place to live =

and if you go on a date to take a walk in the woods. Give me a =

break," said Bobby De Pace, president of Northwest's ground workers =

union. "This is one of the worst things about how they treat their =

employees in the worst of times."

Jackie Diebel, a Northwest employee in Bismarck who will lose her job =

in November, said she wept when faced with the reality of the =

situation and the company's suggestions. "They want us to sell our =

cars, our houses, go to food banks for food for our families," she =

said.

The IAM represents some 14,000 Northwest baggage handlers, ticket =

agents and other ground workers nationwide.

The layoffs are part of a labor contract ratified in June that also =

cut the wages of the remaining ground workers by 11.5 percent. The =

agreement saves Northwest, which is in bankruptcy, $190 million in =

annual labor costs.

The best slide auction on the net:
http://www.auctiontransportation.com/sites/psa188/