-Alex

JetBlue CEO sounds pessimistic on Newark
Operational issues worry low-cost carrier's leader
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
BY SUSAN TODD
Star-Ledger Staff
JetBlue Airways, which brought down Florida fares when it moved to Newark
Liberty International Airport last year, is having second thoughts about its
business prospects in New Jersey.
"Newark is a tough operating environment, with a lot of ground delay
programs," JetBlue Chief Executive David Neeleman said yesterday during a
quarterly earnings conference call with Wall Street analysts. "It gives us
pause about adding more (flights) there."

Neeleman made it clear the company's problems were primar ily a result of
operational issues at Newark Liberty, including bad weather and crowded
flight schedules, rather than the tough rivalry with Continental Airlines
for a share of the busy Florida-bound air travel business.
"People in New Jersey love us," Neeleman said. "It's the cost and
operational side of it (that are the trouble at Newark) rather than the
revenue side of it."
While JetBlue has strengthened its Florida business recently -- re versing
its decision to drop two Tampa flights -- Neeleman's comments were the
strongest indica tion yet that the airline is questioning its potential to
grow at Newark. However, the airline continues to expand at John F. Kennedy
International, which serves as its base.
"I think they've lost interest in being at Newark," said Ray Neidl, an
airline analyst with Calyon Se curities. "I don't think they'll pull out,
but it sounded like (Neele man's) not really happy with what they're doing
there."
JetBlue Airways, a 6-year-old low-fare carrier based on Long Island, started
flying out of Newark Liberty late last year, creating an in-your-face
competition against Continental for the Florida market. In addition to five
Florida cities, JetBlue flies to Puerto Rico from Newark.
But JetBlue has tried to distinguish itself with more than low fares. It
also touts its reliable performance -- measured by on-time arrivals and
departures -- and cancels far fewer flights than many of its larger
competitors. The operating conditions at Newark make both of those things
more challeng ing, according to JetBlue executives.
"Our performance at Newark on average operates with 20 percent less
reliability," said Rob Maruster, JetBlue's senior vice president of
operational planning.
Newark's notorious weather conditions are part of the reason, but Maruster
said Newark's limited runway space and traffic congestion -- airlines tend
to oversche dule flights, especially during peak hours -- have proven to be
major challenges for JetBlue's performance.