SFGate: Low-Cost Carriers Seek More Airline Pie

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2006/07/13/financial/=
f215324D21.DTL
Thursday, July 13, 2006 (AP)
Low-Cost Carriers Seek More Airline Pie
By JoANNE VIVIANO, Associated Press Writer

   (07-13) 21:53 PDT Columbus, Ohio (AP) --

   Low-cost carriers are extending their push into the territory of their
bigger competitors, with JetBlue Airlines Corp. announcing Thursday that
it will expand to Ohio and Southwest Airlines Co. ready to debut in
Washington, D.C.

   The New York-based JetBlue said it will begin providing daily nonstop
flights in October between Port Columbus International Airport and New
York and Boston, offering introductory one-way fares as low as $69.
Dallas-based Southwest on Thursday announced one-way fares as low as $79
for new daily nonstop flights between Washington Dulles International
Airport and four cities.

   The carriers are leading the way toward a low-cost model in an industry =
in
which several major airlines have filed for bankruptcy in recent years,
said Frank Werner, a finance professor at Fordham University in New York.

   "In the last five years, since 9/11 and Iraq and the price of oil going
through the ceiling, the major carriers have found out they have to become
low-cost carriers," Werner said. "This is the natural evolution of the
industry."

   Defining low-cost airlines has become more difficult because there are
times when the traditional carriers have lower prices for some flights
than the low-cost airlines, said John Heimlich, chief economist at the Air
Transport Association trade organization.

   "I think the lines have been blurred and there's no longer a very
meaningful distinction between one type of carrier and another," he said.

   Over the last month, JetBlue started new service in three cities —
Jacksonville, Fla., Pittsburgh, and Charlotte, N.C. — while
announcing that new service will be coming to Columbus and three
additional cities later this year.

   In October, Dulles will become Southwest's second new location this year,
following the airline's emergence in Denver in January.

   Airline industry analyst Terry Trippler said JetBlue, Southwest and other
low-cost airlines are filling the gap left when major airlines reduced
flights to cut costs. However, he said, too many planes can mean excess
capacity and a drop in fares that could damage the industry across the
board.

   "In the long term, we must have a stable air transportation system. If
these airlines continue to bleed red ink, we're not going to have that,"
said Trippler, of the Minneapolis-based myvacationpassport.com travel
club. "I'm not saying anyone is expanding irresponsibly, but we are in a
situation where we have to be very careful."

   JetBlue spokeswoman Jenny Dervin said the company's growth strategy is
appropriate and managed. JetBlue sought at the start of the year to expand
to between eight and 10 new cities but later planned to scale back a
growth plan due to increased fuel costs, she said.

   By focusing on shorter flights and keeping planes in the air about 13
hours per day, the airline now expects to expand to 12 to 15 new locations
in 2006, Dervin said.

   She said the airline stimulates the economy and tourism at new sites,
while driving fares down by 50 percent in some locations.

   Southwest spokeswoman Edna Ruano said Southwest starts out small in each
new location and adds flights as demand increases.

   "We want to grow," she said. "We also keep in mind that we want to grow
where we can be profitable and efficient."

   JetBlue's expansion efforts come as it posted its second consecutive
quarterly loss in April. The airline said high fuel costs drove it to a
first-quarter loss of $32 million, versus a year-ago profit of $6 million.

   Southwest reported in April a modest increase in first-quarter profit.
Earnings edged to $61 million from $59 million a year earlier.

   ___

   On the Net:

   Southwest Airlines:

   JetBlue Airways Corp.