United/Continental

I ran into a United cust. service agent moments ago. I used to see
him every week on my return leg home on United. But I've switched
over to Continental so I haven't seen him in months. I mentioned my
recent 'defection', and he shared with me a juicy 'rumour.'

The United pilots have been talking about a merger between
Continental and United.

His wife works for a competing carrier and with some degree of
conviction, when pilots gossip about this stuff, it usually turns out
true.

United/Continental makes a lot of sense. Incompatible fleets, but at
the size of the airlines, they are both well into the critical mass
of efficiencies. Extremely complimentary route structures with hubs
in SFO/LAX/IAH/ORD/IAD/EWR. CO's moved into Latin America, United's
into Asia. I'm guessing that CO would probably side with Star
Alliance as CO's other US partners in SkyTeam are both in bankruptcy
court.

Hrmmm..

Matthew