Re: CRASH: Sibir Airbus A-390 (?) Russian Airliner

> I was trying to figure out what an A-390 was, but I gave up and
> decided
> it was a reporter error - somewhere between his chair and his
> keyboard :-)

Yep. They are updating with correct aircraft now.

BBC has a partial image of the Sibir aircraft on fire
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5162082.stm

The Baikal television station
http://as.baikal.tv/news/new.html?newsid=200607091
says it is Sibir flight 778 from Moscow, with 188 passengers. Unknown
number of crew.

I can't understand everything, but I have the sense the plane left
the runway, hit a concrete obstacle and ran into construction. The
forward part of the Airbus appeared to be destroyed and passengers
exited out of rear doors. Another witness observed no one and then
the plane burst into flames from inside the aircraft. One passenger
describes what seems to be routine touchdown "began to stop,...then
we fly up." It sounds as if the plane rolled over rough land and then
the passenger (saw?) a wing catch a fence. She was helped out of the
plane and I'm understanding her say the slide did not inflate.

Another story says 49 persons have been taken to hospital, and
townspeople are gathering meals and a search party and the airport
should soon have a hotline telephone number. Psychologists are
assisting.

An update: 1 pilot and 1 flight attendant have survived. Unknown
about the other 6. (Interfax earlier had 8, Baikal TV confirms it)
Now they say the plane ended up in private garages and the fuel
remaining (one ton) caught fire. There were 2 explosions.

The TV station is doing a lot of updates. An airport press conference
says the 2 black boxes have been recovered. Itkutsk airport is closed
and flights are being diverted to Bratsk.