Travelocity Griping

I received an Alert from Travelocity saying that my prized fare had
dropped.  I investigated dates - clicking on only green dates, as they
are "available"

What's the point in a wild goose chase - many many green dates becoming
X (not available)?  I ended up searching the three lowest airfares (on
three different airlines) - all green/available boxes changed to X/not
available.

I thought computers were sophisticated enough to keep real-time track of
seat availability?

(or am I wrong...I thought Travelocity blocked a few seats on each
flight?  Hence the above statement.)

Educate me.

- Blaine