SFGate: Co-CEO of Airbus Parent Defends Stock Sale

 "unfortunate coincidence" my ass.
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2006/06/16/financial/=
f050509D01.DTL
Friday, June 16, 2006 (AP)
Co-CEO of Airbus Parent Defends Stock Sale
By ANGELA CHARLTON, Associated Press Writer

   (06-16) 06:14 PDT PARIS, France (AP) --

   The embattled French co-CEO of Airbus parent EADS on Friday defended his
sale of shares in the company before delays in the superjumbo A380 sent
the stock tumbling, calling it an "unfortunate coincidence."

   The French stock market regulator AMF said Friday it has been conducting=
probe into transactions in European Aeronautics and Defence Space Co., and
will include the one by co-chief executive Noel Forgeard. He earned 2.5
million euros ($3.1 million) in profits on the deal.

   Forgeard sought to play down the importance of a costly production backl=
og
affecting the world's largest passenger plane and said none of the 16
airlines that have placed orders for a total of 159 A380 planes have
canceled their plans.

   "It's a glitch," Forgeard said on Europe-1 radio. "All aircraft programs
have suffered delays."

   Wiring problems with the much-touted double-decker A380 announced this
week incensed airlines worldwide and ballooned into a debacle prompting
questions about the leadership of EADS, a European showcase project
jointly run by French-German management.

   One key question surrounds large stock sales by Forgeard, three of his
children and other top EADS managers in mid-March — three months
before the A380 delays were announced this week.

   AMF said in a brief statement that it has been conducting a probe of EADS
transactions for the past several weeks. "The recent events will be
examined in the framework of this probe," it said.

   "We were not aware, not the shareholders, not the directors" of the A380=
's
problems in March, Forgeard said. He said the troubles with the A380
surfaced in April, and that in late May they still seemed surmountable.

   Then this Tuesday came the announcement of the delays. EADS stock
plummeted by 26 percent Wednesday after the news and a subsequent profit
warning. The stock price rallied slightly Thursday but were down again
Friday, falling 1.9 percent.

   They remained well below prices in March, when Forgeard earned 2.5 milli=
on
euros in profits on stock options, and three of his children sold shares
as well, according to EADS public filings. Board members Francois Auque
and Jean-Paul Gut also sold shares for a total profit of 1.5 million
euros.

   The stock sale was "an unfortunate coincidence," Forgeard said on
Europe-1. "I have nothing to hide."

   He noted that he exercised only half his stock options in the deal, and
that it was announced publicly at the time. "If I had had the slightest
privileged information, I would not have sold the shares," he said.

   Labor leaders expressed alarm at the sales.

   "We are extremely shocked by what is happening at EADS: We are reaching
the limit of the grave illness of financial capitalism in Europe and the
world," Francois Chereque, head of the CFDT union, said on LCI television
Friday.

   Labor unions have been protesting EADS plans to close a factory of Soger=
ma
in Bordeaux.

   "How should the workers at Sogerma, who were told that we're cutting 1,0=
00
jobs, understand the fact that their boss resold his stock options for an
enormous personal profit when he knew that his company was in a difficult
situation," Chereque asked.

   EADS said Thursday it would conduct an internal probe to find out who was
responsible for the aircraft delays.

   Forgeard said Friday that the head of the A380 production was not to
blame, but suggested plant managers may be responsible.

   The production problems raised questions about the A380's future, as riv=
al
Boeing Co. is staking its bets on a smaller, more fuel-efficient jet. -----=
Copyright 2006 AP