Spread the word - Hangar One can be saved

[NAVY MEETING ON HANGAR ONE. 7 PM TUESDAY, MAY 23 (OPEN HOUSE AT 5 PM). =
=

BUILDING 943, JUST OUTSIDE THE MOFFETT BLVD. GATE TO MOFFETT FIELD.]

It seems like we've been doing a fairly good job of publicizing =

Tuesday's (May 23) Navy meeting. I would hope that by now most aware =

people in our area know that Hangar One is threatened. And most of them =
=

clearly want to save it. The last step, in mobilizing people, is =

convincing them that it's worth devoting an evening to what appears to =

be an uphill struggle.

This is best done by word of mouth. Talk to people you know, who aren't =
=

sure about coming Tuesday night. Tell them we need a massive turnout, =

not only to get the Navy to reconsider its proposal, but to convince our=
 =

elected officials to lend the full force of their offices to our effort.=
 =

And if you can't talk to your friends and associates directly, send one =
=

last e-mail. Forward this note if you can't figure out what to say.

Also, make sure that they know that this community has effectively =

organized in the recent past to force the Navy to reconsider what many =

of us have considered inadequate cleanup plans. I realize that not =

everyone working to save the Hangar was involved in the wetlands cleanup=
 =

and restoration fight, but it lasted six years and overturned three =

successive, unacceptable Navy cleanup plans, all of which appeared to =

have the support of the regulatory agencies. WE CAN WIN!

Finally, we each will have up to three minutes to express ourselves at =

the Navy forum. The Navy won't answer questions - though it promises to =
=

respond eventually to all comments. We have a number of people who have =
=

been researching the technical and legal issues, so that base is =

covered. One of the most effective approaches is simply to talk about =

your own personal connection to the hangar: why you, personally, believe=
 =

it should be saved.

See you Tuesday night! And remember, SHOC meets again 7 pm Monday =

evening June 5, at the Moffett Museum.

Lenny

-- =

Lenny Siegel