From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Michael C. Berch
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 20:44
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Good Plan!!

I have to agree with Alireza and Mark. There's plenty of room for
humor on this list, but offensive ethnic stereotypes (like the
"Mexican Air Force" joke) and anti-Muslim stuff (like the Saudi/Iran
joke) really have no place here. We are supposedly a group of
cosmopolitan travelers who visit many lands and meet people from many
countries, cultures, and backgrounds, not a bunch of unsophisticated
boors who exchange ethnic slurs in the guise of "humor". What's next,
the jokes about Jews or black people? Or Polish or Irish or Italian
people?

The Iranian people are not "our" enemy (I'm speaking to my fellow
Americans here). The Arab people (from Saudi Arabia or anywhere else)
are not our enemy. The Muslim world is not our enemy. We may have our
differences with the Iranian and Saudi governments (and indeed I do
too!) In fact, I hope the friends of democracy in those countries
will replace those governments with better ones. But in the meantime
directing thinly-disguised anti-Iranian and anti-Arab hatred at Iran
Air and Saudi Airlines in the form of an unfunny "joke" is just
embarrassing on an international list server.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx