From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
David MR
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 3:30 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: article: One-stop flights: a Wright solution?

NOT a solution!

David R

-------------- Original message --------------=20
From: Travel Pages <travelpages@xxxxxxxxx>=20

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/DN-ticket_26bus.
ART0.Sta=20
> te.Edition1.3f26316.html=20
>=20
> One-stop flights: a Wright solution?=20
> Neither American nor Southwest would love this compromise=20
>=20
> 12:00 AM CST on Sunday, March 26, 2006=20
> By ERIC TORBENSON and ROBERT DODGE / The Dallas Morning News=20
>=20
> Letting Southwest Airlines Co. fly passengers anywhere from Dallas
Love Field=20
> on just one ticket - as long as they stop within a Wright amendment
state -=20
> gives the carrier something it can't do today.=20
>=20
> But not nearly what it wants.=20
>=20
> "You are only giving people a slice of the pie, and they know there is
more,"=20
> said Ron Ricks, Southwest's senior vice president for law, airports
and public=20
> affairs.=20
>=20
> At the same time, offering through-ticketing rights to airlines
serving Love=20
> hurts American Airlines Inc., which believes it bleeds money with any
change to=20
> the federal Wright law.=20
>=20
> But the pain to American from through ticketing would be far less than
that of=20
> full repeal.=20
>=20
> "Through ticketing is among the spectrum of options that lie between
closing=20
> Love and opening it up completely," said Tim Wagner, a spokesman for
Fort=20
> Worth-based American.=20
>=20
> Neither Southwest nor American is enthusiastic about solving the
contentious=20
> fight over the limits on long-haul flights at Love by allowing through

> ticketing. But as Dallas and Fort Worth attempt to hash out a Wright
solution,=20
> the temptation exists to put it on the table.=20
>=20
> Talks are under way, with a June deadline for the mayors of the two
cities to=20
> reach a local compromise on Wright, in an effort to forestall
congressional=20
> action that could be unpalatable to North Texas.=20
>=20
> Even if the process arrives at full repeal, through ticketing could
still=20
> emerge as an interim step.=20
>=20
> Some outside Texas have a keen interest in through ticketing becoming
reality=20
> at Love.=20
>=20
> In Missouri, which was exempted from Wright limits in November, the
state's=20
> major airports in St. Louis and Kansas City could easily serve as
stopping=20
> points for North Texas fliers, boosting traffic.=20
>=20
> Under the 1979 Wright law, airlines are prohibited from offering or=20
> advertising flights between Love Field and any city beyond the
perimeter, which=20
> now includes nine states: Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New
Mexico,=20
> Alabama, Kansas, Mississippi and Missouri.=20
>=20
> As a result, passengers can't travel from Love Field to Phoenix or Los
Angeles=20
> on a single ticket, even if they're willing to stop or change planes
first in=20
> Albuquerque, N.M.=20
>=20
> Less than convenient=20
>=20
> For those willing to buy two tickets to make a long-haul trip from
Love, fares=20
> end up being higher. And because schedules aren't set to accommodate
through=20
> ticketing, transfers often aren't convenient.=20
>=20
> The restrictions used to apply to baggage, which had to get rechecked
when the=20
> passenger changed planes. But after the 9/11 terrorist attacks,
federal security=20
> rules were revised to allow bags to be checked through.=20
> While the mayors of Dallas and Fort Worth negotiate a compromise on
Wright,=20
> American and Southwest are sticking with their public positions.=20
>=20
> American wants Love Field to be closed, saying any shift of traffic
there=20
> hurts its hub at the area's primary airport, Dallas/Fort Worth
International.=20
> That, in turn, hurts the region's economy, the carrier says.=20
>=20
> Officials at the world's largest airline acknowledge, though, that
through=20
> ticketing is among the available options and might play a key role in
how the=20
> cities try to end the fight.=20
>=20
> Faced with a bevy of new one-stop Southwest flights from Love,
American might=20
> be forced to offer competing service or otherwise alter its schedule
and fares=20
> to go up against the Dallas-based discounter. That would cost
American, but how=20
> much isn't known, Mr. Wagner said.=20
>=20
> Southwest wants unfettered access to its nationwide network from Love
Field.=20
> So the carrier sees through ticketing as just a good start - not a
solution.=20
>=20
> Southwest would like to see through-ticketing restrictions removed
immediately=20
> in the first step of any plan to dismantle the Wright amendment.=20
>=20
> The lifting of through-ticketing restrictions would change how
Southwest flies=20
> from Love.=20
>=20
> Southwest chief executive Gary Kelly has said the carrier would alter
its=20
> schedule not only at Love but also at Albuquerque and other Wright
airports to=20
> make connections easier for passengers.=20
>=20
> The carrier would build new connections to move North Texas passengers
swiftly=20
> through Southwest's network to the East and West.=20
>=20
> Mr. Ricks, Southwest's chief lobbyist, said the airline would be
willing to=20
> negotiate terms such as the rules of through ticketing, but it
believes that the=20
> talks between the cities are about phasing out Wright, not closing
Love.=20
>=20
> He said Southwest understands that the talks are focused on three
major=20
> points: eliminating through-ticketing restrictions, allowing long-haul
flights=20
> and dealing with capacity issues at Love Field.=20
>=20
> 'Willing to compromise'=20
>=20
> "We are willing to compromise," Mr. Ricks said. "Everybody who came to
us said=20
> that if we would participate in good faith, the discussions would
revolve around=20
> repeal of the Wright amendment."=20
>=20
> But the airline is adamant that through ticketing is not a final
solution.=20
>=20
> "For the consumers who are driving this issue, if they picked up The
Dallas=20
> Morning News and read that the only thing they are going to get out of
this is=20
> one stop or more out of Love Field, they would feel like the political
process=20
> had let them down," Mr. Ricks said.=20
>=20
> For consumers, one-stop tickets from Love Field would be cheaper than
the=20
> current two-ticket option as well as competitive with nonstop flights
from D/FW.=20
>=20
> Still, many airline experts doubt that through ticketing at Love would
siphon=20
> many passengers - especially high-dollar business fliers - away from
American's=20
> 800-flight-a-day D/FW hub.=20
>=20
> "It's not much more than a paper clips and baling wire solution," said
Robert=20
> W. Mann, an airline consultant in Port Washington, N.Y. "It gives
Southwest very=20
> little because what they really want is to be able to fly nonstop
traffic."=20
>=20
> It's unclear how much airfares might change with through ticketing.=20
> Southwest's highest fares are now $309 each way, far lower in most
cases than=20
> American's top domestic fare, which can approach $800 each way.=20
>=20
> American's Mr. Wagner said his airline competes against a considerable
amount=20
> of one-stop traffic from D/FW.=20
>=20
> "If our nonstop fares aren't competitive with the one-stop fares we
face, we=20
> lose traffic," he said.=20
>=20
> An unknown number of fliers are already flying from the region using
two=20
> tickets on Southwest flights, he said, instead of on American's
nonstops from=20
> D/FW.=20
>=20
> American's other concern is that allowing through ticketing probably
wouldn't=20
> end the battle over Wright but could fan the flames for further
loosening of the=20
> law.=20
>=20
> Yet some observers say American should just accept that Love isn't
closing and=20
> do everything possible to hem in Southwest's growth. American can also
charge=20
> more for nonstop service from D/FW.=20
>=20
> "American doesn't need Southwest flying against them at D/FW. Love
Field is=20
> the inferior airport," said Michael Boyd of the Boyd Group in
Evergreen, Colo.=20
> "It's just lunacy what American is doing."=20
>=20
> Connecting cities=20
>=20
> Some of the biggest beneficiaries of through ticketing may be outside
North=20
> Texas.=20
>=20
> Missouri was added to the Wright perimeter after the state's
Republican=20
> senator, Christopher "Kit" Bond, pushed through a provision exempting
the state=20
> from the flight restrictions at Love.=20
>=20
> Less than two weeks after President Bush signed the legislation into
law,=20
> Southwest launched service from Love to St. Louis and Kansas City.
American=20
> launched competing service from Love earlier this month.=20
>=20
> With through ticketing, Southwest's growing schedule at St. Louis
could=20
> provide connections for eastbound Love passengers to cities such as
Baltimore=20
> and Detroit.=20
>=20
> At Kansas City's airport, westbound passengers could connect to cities
such as=20
> Seattle or Oakland.=20
>=20
> When asked if through ticketing might work better for his state than
full=20
> Wright repeal, Mr. Bond smiled and said: "There is always that
possibility."=20
>=20
> Through ticketing could also benefit the airport in Nashville, another

> fast-growing city for Southwest, if Tennessee were tacked onto the
Wright=20
> perimeter. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., tried
unsuccessfully to=20
> add the state last year.=20
>=20
> For now, Mr. Bond said he is waiting to see what the talks between the
two=20
> mayors produce. "We are watching to see how the various parties work
it out," he=20
> said.=20
>=20
> North Texas' delegation has decided to let the cities attempt to
settle the=20
> issue, but through ticketing is still top of mind.=20
>=20
> "I think through ticketing is certainly one of the ways to ease the
tension on=20
> the Wright amendment, but that has to be coupled with other
limitations at Love=20
> Field that level the playing field," said Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison,
R-Texas.=20
>=20
> "This has to be a local solution that makes the most sense for people
in North=20
> Texas," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who indicated that he expected
through=20
> ticketing to be part of a larger plan and not the final word.=20
>=20
> "It certainly would be more than just that one issue that would be
involved,"=20
> he said. "It would have to be a comprehensive solution."=20
>=20
> Rep. Jeb Hensarling, R-Dallas, co-sponsor of a bill to repeal the law,
said=20
> through ticketing could be part of a longer phase-out.=20
>=20
> "If somebody wants to bring another plan with another timetable, and
if=20
> through-ticketing is part of that solution, I would have to take a
look," Mr.=20
> Hensarling said. "I just do not believe it is a permanent solution
because you=20
> would still have Congress picking winners and losers among airports."=20
>=20
> Eric Torbenson reported from Dallas and Robert Dodge reported from
Washington.=20
> Staff writer Todd J. Gillman in Washington contributed to this report.

>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low
rates.=20