SFGate: VIRGIN AMERICA/On the Record: Fred Reid

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2006/03/19/BUG6VHOI6R=
1.DTL
Sunday, March 19, 2006 (SF Chronicle)
VIRGIN AMERICA/On the Record: Fred Reid

   Fred Reid, a longtime executive at major airlines such as Delta and
Lufthansa, made the jump last year to help startup low-fare carrier Virgin
America get off the ground as its first chief executive officer. Based at
San Francisco International Airport and backed by U.S. investors and
British entrepreneur Richard Branson, Virgin America is awaiting
certification by the Department of Transportation. Objections from other
airlines and from organized labor have stalled approval of the
application, which Reid hopes will be approved soon, so the new airline
can begin flying late this year.
   In a question-and-answer session with Chronicle editors and writers, Reid
talked about why low-cost carriers continue to win market share from
traditional carriers, how Virgin America can differentiate itself from
pioneering low-cost carriers like Southwest and JetBlue, why the fledgling
airline chose San Francisco over competing cities and why airline food is
so bad -- a situation he hopes to rectify on Virgin America. The interview
has been edited for clarity and space.
   Q: Glenn Tilton (CEO of United Airlines) says there is going to be
consolidation in the airline industry and there needs to be fewer airlines
rather than more. We're now seeing discount airlines like JetBlue showing
signs of wear and tear. Why on earth would you want to start a new
airline?
   A: The traditional or so-called six legacy carriers have about
three-quarters of the market measured in available seat miles flown -- and
about 75 percent of their customer base is dissatisfied. You see this in
the proprietary research that all the airlines purchase, which is not
disclosed publicly. If you look at JetBlue and Southwest, it's the reverse
-- 75 to 85 percent of their customers are happy. When you have an
industry where the dissatisfaction is this great and you think that you
can come out with something that's going to be better perceived and better
accepted, then that is another opportunity.
   We will launch this airline with a cost position between 25 and 50 perce=
nt
more favorable than relevant competitors.
   Q: How do you arrive there? Do you just pay less?
   A: I think that our compensation will be reasonably attractive, but like
other new-breed airlines, we will be looking for higher productivity. The
other thing is new aircraft. They burn less fuel. They have far less
maintenance requirements. Passengers like them better because they're
brand new and they're clean and sparkling.
   There is a tremendous change in what you can buy in terms of technology,
off-the-shelf, open-architecture technology that will enable you to buy
tickets on the Web site much easier.
   The fourth one is high utilization -- not only people productivity, but
asset productivity, in-air utilization. Airplanes make money when they're
flying with passengers and they cost money when they are on the ground.
The historical highs for short-haul or medium-haul domestic aircraft is
eight to 10 hours, and the best in class is 12.5 to 13.5 hours, and we'll
be the best in class.
   Q: Your background is with the legacy carriers. What makes an old-line g=
uy
like you think he can run a new discount carrier? Were you always a
discount guy yearning to breathe free?
   A: Something like that. I think there are only two pure low-cost-carrier
executives in the country today. One is Herb Kelleher, who founded
Southwest Airlines, and the other is David Neeleman, who was involved in
Canada with WestJet and then started JetBlue. Only Herb and David are
untainted, if you will, but I would say that every other top-five
executive comes from legacy carriers, because about 15 years ago, the
low-cost carrier penetration in the U.S. market was only 8 to 10 percent.
Today it is 30 percent.
   Q: Were you misguided?
   A: No, I wasn't misguided. I just didn't get the call. I finally got the
call. It is not axiomatic that the executives at the old-line carriers are
dumb people. They're not. A lot of the problems they have go back decades
and decades. In the 1960s, you built your own information-technology
system and you hired 300 IT people, and to throw all that out and start
from scratch is punitively expensive.
   You had mergers. Delta bought Western. American bought a number of
carriers. So you inherited different workforces, different IT systems,
different fleet types. There is a lot of inherent complexity in the legacy
carriers that started 30 or 40 years ago and the current management
inherited. If you are coming from a legacy carrier to a new breed of
airline, you know where some of the vulnerabilities are. You know what not
to do.
   Q: Just to follow up on that. You have discussed your experience at Delta
with Song, a carrier that failed. What happened there?
   A: Song performed financially better than the Delta mainline. I was the
president of Delta and I was the chairman of Song. I was given full
authority to take these planes out of the system and schedule them any way
I wanted. So we had higher utilization.
   Also, the majority of the workforce involved with Song consensually trad=
ed
higher productivity for lifestyle changes. So you go to a flight attendant
and say, "Look, if you fly 18 percent more hours this month, I'll give you
three more nights at home because I'll schedule you differently." We were
able to get consensual agreements with the employees, most of them.
   But ultimately what happened with Song was that the distress of the pare=
nt
(Delta) overcame the ability of the parent to really run two brands and a
different business model. When I left, I presented the board with
substantial expansion plans for Song. That was delayed for a year. Then
the CEO said, "Let's do it." He then started to implement the growth plan
that I had left when I departed in early 2004, and then it got really
difficult for Delta.
   Once you're in bankruptcy proceedings and you're dealing with judges and
creditors' committees, you don't have a lot of leeway. I'm guessing that,
ultimately, the complexity of trying to grow a sub-brand while managing a
bankruptcy proceeding became too much.
   Q: There are complaints regarding your business application both from
airline competitors and the AFL-CIO. How are you going to manage that? As
it stands right now, you're not cleared for takeoff.
   A: That is very true and that is a big issue with us right now. I spent
more than 18 months crafting the application and raising the equity, all
the time understanding that foreign investment, in any country, gets high
scrutiny. There is just something xenophobic about the aviation industry.
It's kind of outdated, but it is that way. It's changing slowly. From a
structural and business model, it's the most global industry in the world,
with the most antiquated capital laws. Try to explain this to a rational
person and you would never get there.
   We filed the most thorough application in the history of aviation, more
than 1,000 pages, knowing that it would get great scrutiny. Under U.S.
law, a foreign investor may invest as long as he or she has less than 50
percent of the capital, and in our case it's 49 percent and only 25
percent of the voting rights on the board. So Virgin is a minority
investor with only 25 percent voting rights.
   Lo and behold, the only detractors are the legacy airlines who are
shrinking while the new breed of airlines are growing. Something like 85
to 95 percent of all new aircraft ordered are coming from the
new-generation carriers. The others are shrinking or simply not ordering
aircraft.
   We expected a spirited response from the airlines which simply don't want
to see us in the marketplace. They have foreign money -- the hedge funds
that have kept these guys out of bankruptcy. I'm not suggesting there is
anything illegal. US Airways had a big investment from British Airways a
long time ago. Continental had a big investment from SAS back in the '80s.
They had the SAS chairman on their board of directors. KLM was known to
have rescued Northwest from oblivion in the early '90s. These guys don't
have any moral or legal objection to foreign investment. They know the
score. Most of them have profited from foreign investment.
   They've made objections that I believe do not hold water and it will be
for the (Department of Transportation) to decide. These are opportunistic
and, in my view, meritless complaints.
   Q: You also have some union opposition.
   A: It's not just the AFL-CIO. It's the Air Line Pilots Association, as
well. I am really puzzled by this one. There have been significant
complaints to members of Congress and the (Department of Transportation)
that we are somehow not conforming with U.S. law or that we're anti-union.
That really puzzles me.
   I have been at four airlines in 30 years. I have worked congenially and
honorably with unions in this country and 15 countries overseas. I
personally did union negotiations in Greece, Israel, India and Italy. The
unions that serve aviation have lost dramatic numbers, well over 100,000
jobs in the last five years.
   I am here to create a new airline that is going to have a very minimum of
3,000 direct jobs in the next couple of years. And every time you put an
airline job in this country, you create 12 other jobs, like maintenance
support, ramp agent and caterers.
   I am actually launching a company that is going to create 3,000 direct
jobs and more than 36,000 indirect jobs in aviation. That's message No. 1.
Message No. 2, the Railway Labor Act puts a lot of power in the hands of
the employees to elect to be unionized or not. This is an employee
decision, not what I think.
   Therefore, I'm really kind of disturbed and puzzled as to why labor wants
to stop a company that is doing what they want and what the state of
California wants, and that is job creation. This is truly a mixed-up
message. I don't get it at all.
   Q: Well, JetBlue, of course, is successful, in part, because, according =
its own CEO, it's nonunion. Are you considering that model?
   A: I'm really open-minded. I worked at American, Pan Am, Delta and
Lufthansa. Three out of the 4 airlines are almost totally unionized. One
of them, Delta, is part unionized and part not unionized.
   In the history of aviation, there are a lot of toxic relationships betwe=
en
employees, leadership and unions. I would just say that it takes two to
tango.
   Q: To what extent is Richard Branson involved with the airline? Do you
call him?
   A: I see him mostly socially. He's always dreamt of seeing a
Virgin-branded airline operating in the United States. But Richard is also
very smart, and he understands that the only way to do that in the United
States is through a trademark license, nothing more, nothing less than a
trademark license that the U.S. investors contracted with the Virgin
Group.
   So Richard is an idea guy. Richard is a creative guy. But he's not on the
board. I saw him three times face to face last year, and spoke to him
twice on the telephone. In total, five times. The conversation is usually
like, "Well, how are things going?" I say, "Great." He says, "Are you ever
going to get that airline started or not?" and I say, "One of these days,"
He says, "Do you need anything and are you comfortable?" I say, "I'm
great." He does not get involved in the financials or the governance.
   Q: Do you work for him?
   A: No. I was hired by a management company called Virgin USA in April
2004. Virgin USA is a company that looks for new business opportunities
for the Virgin Group. These opportunities may range from the wholly owned
hotel to a minority position in the mobile space. So you could say
ultimately I was hired by Richard. But when the company was capitalized on
Nov. 22, 2005, we signed new employment agreements. I report to the board
of directors, which has 75 percent voting rights. I report to a
nonexecutive chairman that's a U.S. investor.
   Q: Do you need that brand?
   A: Yes, we do. We do need the brand. That is a big and important
differentiating factor because Virgin stands for certain things in the
eyes of consumers. It generally stands for low prices, great customer
service, a company that tries to have a little fun, a company that is very
professionally focused, but doesn't take itself seriously.
   The brand is crucial, but the brand will never work unless we do other
things. Those other things are operating integrity, low sustainable cost
structure, leveraging technology and providing good customer service.
   Q: I want to know a little bit about food. I want to know about the seat=
s.
I want to know about the type of plane you're going to use. I want to know
about the routes, prices and what's the real timetable for getting
started.
   A: I am very respectful of the rigors involved in airline certification.
Whatever you want to say about the U.S. aviation industry, it's safe. The
operating integrity and the oversight by (Department of Transportation)
and FAA in this country is great. I was raised in Africa and I've lived in
Asia twice, I lived in the Middle East. Aviation is much, much safer here
than in many parts of the world.
   Having said that, the (Department of Transportation) did defer the answer
period in which the deadline for objections was Dec. 29, and they have yet
to reset the new deadline. My point is, "Guys, please get this thing back
on track. Please do your due diligence. If there is anything wrong with
our application, tell us what it is and we'll fix it, or challenge us and
ask for additional documentation."
   If (it) was to approve this airline in the normal parameters, then there
is no reason that we should not be operating by the back half of the third
quarter of this year.
   Let's talk about food. We will have some free options, but we will also
have food for sale, like Song did.
   Q: Are you going to try to be distinctive?