SFGate: Australia's OzJet Suspends Operations

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2006/03/12/financial/=
f155110S38.DTL
Sunday, March 12, 2006 (AP)
Australia's OzJet Suspends Operations

   (03-12) 15:51 PST SYDNEY, Australia (AP) --

   OzJet, a business-class only airline in Australia, has suspended all
scheduled flights amid tight competition and lagging sales less than four
months after taking to the air.

   In a statement released late Sunday, OzJet Chairman Paul Stoddart said t=
he
company could no longer compete in Australia and would shift its focus to
charter flights.

   "Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, we have not had the support we
needed to operate in that environment against big, established carriers,"
said Stoddart, the former owner of the Formula One race team Minardi.

   "It's very, very disappointing, particularly, I'm sure, for those people
who had started traveling regularly with us ... and many of our very
diligent and loyal employees," he said.

   Stoddart said the company will keep at least two of its four Boeing 737
aircraft and about 30 percent of its staff for charter flights.

   OzJet has struggled since it launched late last year. Just one week after
it began flying its sole route between Sydney and Melbourne, the airline
was forced to slash prices and revise its flight schedule amid lagging
--
Copyright 2006 AP