Fwd: LA mayor urges regional airport plan, shifting flights from LAX

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "2/1 Los Angeles Times" <batn@...>
wrote:

Published Wednesday, February 1, 2006, in the Los Angeles Times

Mayor Offers Regional Airport Plan

Villaraigosa urges airlines to shift domestic flights from LAX to
outlying facilities.

By Jennifer Oldham and Patrick McGreevy

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Tuesday outlined his vision
for the region's air traffic system, calling for airlines to
concentrate international flights at LAX while shifting some new
domestic travel, particularly short-haul flights, to other airports.

Los Angeles faces many obstacles in clearing its air traffic jams,
however.  Efforts at regionalizing air transportation already have
failed three times in recent years.

Airlines prefer big-city airports, and airport directors cannot force
carriers to redistribute flights to airports far from the population
concentration in and around Los Angeles.

But at the news Tuesday that a record number of international
passengers used Los Angeles International Airport in 2005,
Villaraigosa said other airports in Southern California must begin
handling some of the increasing demand for air travel.

"We've got to grow our airport capacity in the region," the mayor
said
at LAX, where he announced that Qantas Airways was opening a new
maintenance facility at the airport that would double its engineering
and maintenance workforce at the airfield.

"We want an airport that has the capability to continue our paramount
position as the No. 1 destination airport in the world and as the
gateway to the Pacific Rim and the growing economies of the East" and
the growing markets of South America, the mayor said.

There are nine other Southern California airports that officials hope
will take the pressure off aging LAX because the region faces a
doubling of the number of air passengers by 2030.

With a new agreement to try to limit growth at LAX and existing caps
on flights at Long Beach and John Wayne airports, efforts to spread
air traffic to the Inland Empire and Antelope Valley are taking on a
new urgency.

That has resulted in a refined vision that would concentrate the most
lucrative international flights at LAX.

"LAX is the international facility for this region," Lydia Kennard,
executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, said Tuesday.  "And
we are very positive about expanding international service here.  But
what we are really clear about is that does not mean growth, and we
are not promoting growth, in the domestic arena."

The role of LAX as a hub of international travel was confirmed
Tuesday
when the city released its passenger counts for 2005 showing record
international volume at LAX.

"That's exactly what we see for our future at LAX -- to be the
dominant international facility -- and other airports need to take up
domestic short- and long-haul service," Kennard said.

LAX airlines served 17.48 million international passengers in 2005,
eclipsing the previous high of 17.41 million in 2000.  International
passenger volume was up 6.1% in 2005 compared with 2004.  Total
passenger volume at LAX in 2005 was 61.4 million, up 1.3% from 2004.
Air freight at LAX in 2005 was 2.04 million tons, also a record.

The figures show not only that air travel at LAX has continued to
recover from the lows following the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11,
2001, but also that growth is continuing in the region.

The city-owned Ontario International Airport set its own record for
total passengers, increasing 4% over the previous year.

On Tuesday, Villaraigosa said airports in the region, including
Ontario and Palmdale Regional Airport, must pick up some of the
growing air traffic so that LAX does not become a nuisance, with
traffic, noise and other problems, to its neighbors.

"I believe we can more strategically increase capacity at Palmdale
and
Ontario, and that's what you are going to see in the coming months,"
Villaraigosa said.

In addition to a modernization plan for the Tom Bradley International
Terminal at LAX, estimated to be worth more than $500 million, the
city plans to improve the infrastructure at Ontario and Palmdale so
they can handle more flights.

"Ontario is growing, but we haven't done what we are going to do to
invest in the infrastructure there," the mayor said.  "The same with
Palmdale."

Aviation experts say the city can expect roadblocks ahead, including
carriers' preference for using big-city airports that are patronized
by corporate clients.

So Southland officials must persuade airlines to serve Palmdale, San
Bernardino and other airports when their best customers live near LAX
and facilities in Long Beach and Orange County that are operating at
capacity.

"Therein lies our dilemma," Mark Pisano, executive director of the
Southern California Assn. of Governments, told the city's Airport
Commission recently.

With 10 airports operated by eight agencies, the regional system is
expected to serve about 170 million passengers by 2030.  But it faces
a 40% shortfall in capacity -- more than any other region in the
nation.

Los Angeles, Orange, San Bernardino and Riverside counties tried
three
times between 1985 and 2002 to find a way to redistribute passengers
among the region's airports.  The negotiations collapsed.

"Those days are over -- regionalism on many levels is critical for
us,"
said Los Angeles City Councilman Bill Rosendahl, who is working with
Villaraigosa on a Southern California aviation strategy.

Villaraigosa, who sat in the pilot's seat of a Qantas 747 after the
news conference Tuesday, confirmed that he was prepared to take a
firmer hand in guiding the spread of air-travel demand beyond LAX.

But Los Angeles has struggled to expand its own airports in Ontario
and Palmdale.  Even after Villaraigosa announced recently that he
would emphasize shifting air traffic to these facilities, several
carriers canceled service there.

Scenic Airlines, the only carrier operating at Palmdale, canceled
flights to Las Vegas earlier this month, saying it wasn't making
money.

Some experts say the market is working -- though slowly -- to move
flights to airports other than LAX.

In 2005, about 70% of the region's air travelers used LAX, down from
88% in 1960.

Ontario, located about 40 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, is
considered the region's best chance to accommodate more passengers;
the airport has room to grow and the city's residents welcome more
service.

Airport officials say they have responded to new demands for flights
at Ontario, pointing to the 10,000 people a month who fly from the
airport to several destinations in Mexico -- a market that didn't
exist four years ago.

But skeptics note that it took 15 years for Ontario to add a million
travelers, despite new terminals and millions spent on promotion.

Airport officials say they will keep aggressively marketing Ontario
and will consider developing Palmdale airport, where the city owns
17,000 acres 70 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

"I'm definitely of the school of 'if you build it they will come,' "
said Alan Rothenberg, president of the city's Airport Commission.

"I saw what happened at Dulles.  There was nothing but 30 miles of
forest between the capital and Dulles when it first came up," he
said,
referring to the major airport outside Washington, D.C.

--- End forwarded message ---