SFGate: Airborne love affair on the rocks -- why bother?/Flying used to be fun, but now it's too much trouble to get decent treatment

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2006/01/15/INGMDGMDT1=
1.DTL
Sunday, January 15, 2006 (SF Chronicle)
Airborne love affair on the rocks -- why bother?/Flying used to be fun, but=
 now it's too much trouble to get decent treatment
Brian Banmiller

   It was love at first sight. March of 1964. My wild bunch of college
sophomore buddies had just conned our parents into letting us fly from
Philadelphia to Raleigh, N.C., to cheer on our Villanova Wildcats who were
up against Connecticut in the eastern regional of the NCAA basketball
tournament.
   March Madness for them. But for me the start of a lifelong love affair
with aviation. I still remember that four-engine, propeller-driven Eastern
Airlines plane with bucket seats rolling down the runway. By today's
standards it was loud, noisy and slow.
   But it was exciting for me and my twin brother David. So much so that
after graduation in 1966, he joined the first management training class
for Trans World Airlines in New York. TWA was at that time one of the
world's largest and most prestigious carriers.
   I enlisted in the Air Force in hopes of flying fighters in Vietnam. But
being slightly color blind, I was stuck flying a high-profile desk as a
headquarters squadron commander for the SAC wing flying U-2 spy planes,
with temporary administrative missions to Vietnam and the Far East.
   I commanded some 400 men at the tender age of 24, and saw the world, not
flying from "the left seat" but still on the airplane. After a transfer to
Tehran, I served as a captain for the Middle East Postal and Courier
Service. My job included flying aboard flag carriers such as Pan American
and TWA, transporting top secret documents around the world.
   Believe me, landing in Monrovia, Liberia, or Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, was a
heady experience. Americans stationed at the embassy would wait for hours
at the terminal just to see their American flag carrier make a pit stop.
   My brother rose through the ranks at TWA, then became president of Air
Cal, the popular Orange County airline he helped sell to American
Airlines.
   After stints at American and Air Jamaica, he is CEO of Aloha Airlines in
Hawaii, and about to fly that carrier out of bankruptcy protection and
hopefully into sunnier skies.
   I moved on to the news business. But along the way I took flying lessons
to become a private pilot. And I've logged thousands of commercial miles
reporting news events from Russia to China.
   So for decades my twin brother and I have shared two common bonds. Birth
and a love of aviation. But while we still love each other, my love of
aviation no longer matches his.
   He still loves the daily challenges and excitement of running an airline
in an industry with a glorious past, and an uncertain future.
   But I am just a passenger, and an unhappy one at that. My own love affair
with aviation is on the rocks.
   If you fly, you know why. Where once your travel agent handled everythin=
g,
they are now an endangered species. (During a recent call to a major
carrier, the operator based in India could not even locate the city I
wanted to fly to.)

   Check in at the airport. Carriers now charge two bucks to check your
luggage at the curb. One pound overweight. Another few bucks. Make a
ticket change. Big bucks.
   Get on the airplane. Feel like a sardine. Want a meal. Better bring your
own sardines. Or cash for a box lunch.
   Want a drink. It's cheaper to check in to Betty Ford. (Is this jilted
lover getting too cynical?)
   And like any lost love, it's easier to blame the other person. But just
who? Oil prices have cut into profits. And pilots, flight attendants,
mechanics and ground personnel fell too hard for an industry that has not
loved them back. Now too often they strike back at the passengers.
   Perhaps government should have seen the dark clouds brought about by
de-regulation and helped navigate around them.
   Where once prices were set by government, now it's the free market that
prices your seat. I have no problem with that, until I try to get a deal.
   On a recent trip to New York I was quoted a round-trip coach fare of $663
for an advance purchase. I forgot to call back and confirm. The following
week I bought a ticket on the same flights for just $380 round trip.
Airlines call it yield management. Price the seats to sell. I call it
buyer beware. (Dallas must have been popular at Thanksgiving. I paid $980
round trip coach for a flight a lot shorter than the one to New York.)
   You see, airline revenue-management folks are rewarded for "filling the
buckets" as they call it. Over one 24-four hour period, major carriers can
have thousands of fares being juggled by very smart computer programmers.
You and I don't stand a chance.
   And the look over the horizon is not rosy for flying in the "cheap seats=
."
Terry Trippler of Cheapseats.com predicts leisure fares will rise 10
percent in 2006. And you could soon be charged extra for booking aisle or
emergency-exit row seats.
   You may want to pay the price. According to USA Today, one out of every =
20
seats that U.S. airlines flew a year ago is gone. Capacity is shrinking as
demand rises. No wonder ticket prices this holiday season were up 14
percent from a year ago. And the Department of Transportation reports that
complaints about U.S. airlines jumped 29 percent last year.
   All this bad news for you may be good news for the industry. The Wall
Street Journal reports strong demand for travel, lower fuel prices and
cheaper labor costs are helping give the industry a financial tailwind
going into 2006.
   They'll need it. U.S. carriers lost $32 billion in the past four years,
and may lose $10 billion more when results are in for 2005.
   Still, that love of aviation has bankers willing to make loans, and
employees willing to work for less. I do admit a spark does sometimes
return in my own heart. But now it's just a one-flight fling, when I score
that last minute upgrade to First Class.

   Brian Banmiller is a national business correspondent for CBS News Radio,
and former television business news anchor in San Francisco. Contact us at
Copyright 2006 SF Chronicle