Maybe old news

I don't know if this is old news or not ...

=20

On a recent UA trip BOS-SFO-BOS, when I attempted to pre-board with what =
the gate agent called "Global Service" members and I thought was Star =
Alliance 1K, Premier Executive and Premier members I was turned away =
with the response "You would know it if you were one." I did some =
research online and found the article below from The New York Times. =
Does anyone have any other details about any of these programs? I know =
that NWA offers higher level status based on the tickets that you are =
buying, but they don't mention it and I have no idea what the threshold =
dollar figure is. I also know that it isn't reciprocal on other SkyTeam =
carriers (little actually is) as I spent over $50k with NWA last year =
and I'm only Gold Medallion.

=20

=20

The New York Times

May 10, 2005

=20

A Flier Status Elite Enough to Eclipse Mere Platinum

By CHRISTOPHER ELLIOTT

=20

On a recent flight from Denver to Las Vegas, Michael Silber was assigned =
a dreaded middle seat in the back of the plane. But when Mr. Silber, an =
executive with the Harman Consumer Group, an electronics company in =
Woodbury, N.Y., checked in at the ticket counter, a United Airlines =
employee not only upgraded him on the spot but apologized for the lapse.

=20

"You should have never gotten that seat in the first place," the agent =
whispered to him to avoid being overheard by other passengers. "You're =
Global Services." His membership, she added, "means we like you a lot."

=20

That may be something of an understatement. As the airline industry =
struggles to recover from losses totaling $32.3 billion during the last =
four years, it is pursuing its biggest spenders with a rare enthusiasm.

=20

Global Services, which was quietly introduced in 2003, is perhaps the =
largest of the new super-elite frequent-flier programs that airlines =
reserve for the cr=E8me de la cr=E8me of their clientele. And regrets =
for uncomfortable middle seats are the least of the benefits.

=20

On United and on other airlines, members of the secretive, =
invitation-only clubs are met at the airport by employees and whisked =
past the check-in line. They wait for their flights in unmarked V.I.P. =
lounges and are offered liberal upgrades and personalized attention by =
airline employees. And at a time when airlines are obsessed with =
improving their on-time records, it is not uncommon for a plane to be =
held for a super-elite member who is stuck in traffic.

=20

"Super-elites are the Skull and Bones of the sky," said the =
frequent-flier expert Joel Widzer, referring to the blue-blood secret =
society at Yale. "Don't bother asking how to join. If you qualify, =
they'll let you know."

=20

Becoming a member of this beyond-platinum club is "the most coveted =
award" for the frequent traveler, according to Hal Brierley, a =
loyalty-program consultant with Brierley & Partners in Dallas. He =
estimates that fewer than one-tenth of 1 percent of elite-level fliers =
hold super-elite status. But because the clubs are shrouded in such =
mystery (none of the airlines contacted for this article would comment =
on them), the actual figures remain a puzzle. "Sometimes, even program =
members don't know they're in it," Mr. Brierley said.

=20

American Airlines, the largest domestic carrier, claims it does not have =
a beyond-platinum designation. But according to consultants and =
loyalty-program experts, it informally tags selected elite-level =
passengers for special treatment. Continental Airlines offers Chairman's =
Circle status to a group of just 21 executives from companies whose =
business is considered important to the airline.

=20

Delta Air Lines, which phased out a super-elite program called the =
Flying Colonel during the late 1990's, may be about to commission a =
replacement. Just last month, it mailed letters to some of its top-level =
frequent fliers promising to offer "unpublished incentives to select =
Platinum Medallion members." (Platinum Medallion is its highest =
published elite frequent-flier level.)

=20

But the most formal, if not the best-known, of the super-elite programs =
belongs to United Airlines. About 18,000 Global Services members are on =
the books out of 10 million active Mileage Plus program members and 42 =
million registered frequent fliers. Of the 18,000, roughly 10,000 made =
the grade because they had spent at least $20,000 a year on United, =
while about 8,000 got on the list in hopes the star treatment would =
entice them and their companies to do more business with the airline.

=20

When they make the cut, Global Services members are issued a black =
Global Services card, a leather-bound welcome kit and phone numbers of =
agents trained to see after their needs. Then the fun begins. The chosen =
ones are escorted through the security line and ushered into secret =
waiting lounges so concealed from the public that United executives =
themselves have trouble finding them. They receive confirmed upgrades at =
the time of booking (rather than having to wait until 100 hours before =
the flight, a burden that highest published elite-level travelers, those =
at the 1K level, must bear). Should they leave a jacket or cellphone =
behind, they can ask the airline to have the item delivered to their =
home by an airline employee.

=20

United isn't the first company to issue a black card. American Express =
introduced its Centurion card, which came to be known as the black card, =
in 1999. Among the benefits are a concierge service, a personal travel =
counselor, automatic elite-level memberships in airline, car rental and =
hotel loyalty programs, and access to invitation-only events like =
special concerts. And, like the super-elite status conferred by the =
airlines, the American Express Card is granted to those deemed deserving =
- never in response to a customer's request.

=20

Beyond all the perks, the real bonus is "the 'Wow!' factor," according =
to Mr. Brierley, the loyalty expert. "It's those times when you land in =
a snowstorm in Denver, and your connecting flight is canceled," he said. =
"There are long lines at the airport, and you'll probably be stuck =
overnight. But when your plane arrives, there's an airline employee =
holding a boarding pass for the next flight out - and you have a seat in =
first class."

=20

Some frequent travelers are skeptical about the new elite levels. =
Vincent Petty, a law student at Stetson University in St. Petersburg, =
Fla., and a Platinum Medallion-level member of Delta's SkyMiles =
frequent-flier program, recently received a letter from the airline =
promising new benefits that exceeded his elite level. "But things =
haven't gotten any better," he said. "If anything, they are worse. I =
wait for an upgrade, and even though I'm the only Platinum-level =
passenger, the first-class seats go to the Silver Medallions who maybe =
paid more for their tickets than I did. I don't see how a new program is =
going to change that."

=20

Airlines have always gone out of the way for certain passengers, =
including celebrities and dignitaries. But the emergence of more =
codified super-elite programs that are tied not only to social status, =
but also to the amount of business a passenger gives an airline, has =
left frequent-flier experts wondering if this represents the beginning =
of a formal fourth level of frequent-flier program.

=20

"In a psychological sense, there is a mechanism whereby one is always =
looking to the next level," said Tim Winship, who edits the Web site =
Frequentflier.com. "But in a practical sense, these super-elite programs =
are not as much about rewards as they are about ego gratification."

=20

Strictly speaking, none of the new super-elite clubs are traditional =
rewards programs because they emphasize special services over tangible =
benefits like first-class upgrades or award tickets. But at least one =
program, Global Services, last year considered making its program public =
and formally incorporating it into its Mileage Plus program. Some United =
Airlines employees and consultants say the airline may make Global =
Services official in 2006.

=20

But that could create more problems than it solves. Mr. Winship notes =
that the moment a super-elite program goes public, passengers will begin =
looking for something better. (That is what happened in 1993, when the =
1K designation, once a secret program for top-tier fliers, was =
declassified.)

=20

United's current super-elite program, which now adds about 1,000 members =
a year, would then grow at an even quicker pace, and could lose some of =
its distinctiveness, perhaps forcing the airline to create a new elite =
level. Indeed, the people involved in awarding club memberships find =
that the most difficult part is not determining who is in, but deciding =
who is out. "How do you tell someone you're not in the club anymore?" =
Mr. Brierley asked.

=20

In the case of Mr. Silber, the electronics company executive, you do not =
bother. Just before taking a recent trip to China, he phoned United to =
ask for an upgrade. While he was talking with a representative, he =
inquired about his Global Services status. "I was told that I'm not a =
Global Services member any longer," he said. "The representative I spoke =
with suggested that I write the airline to find out what was up. So now =
I have a black card, and all my reservations show that I'm a member of =
Global Services, but I'm not. It's kind of weird."