SFGate: A faster way through airport checkpoints/San Jose would give some passengers priority -- for $80

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/c/a/2005/12/01/MNGHFG12B8=
1.DTL
Thursday, December 1, 2005 (SF Chronicle)
A faster way through airport checkpoints/San Jose would give some passenger=
s priority -- for $80
Michael Cabanatuan, Chronicle Staff Writer

   Officials at San Jose's airport say air travelers weary of standing in
long lines at security checkpoints soon will be able to buy their way into
a high-tech express lane as part of the federal government's efforts to
speed up screening at the nation's airports.
   The cost is likely to be about $80 a year per passenger -- the amount
charged in a test program at Orlando International Airport -- and
applicants would be required to submit 10 fingerprints and photographs of
both eyes and pass a federal "security-threat assessment."
   The payoff: spending a mere 14 seconds at an identification-checking kio=
sk
instead of as long as 29 minutes in line.
   The Transportation Security Administration recently announced plans to
establish a nationwide "registered traveler" program by June but has
released no details. On Wednesday, Mineta San Jose International Airport
stepped to the front of the line, announcing that it was ready to launch
the program within a month of approval by the security administration.
   "For San Jose, our business traveler community is a big part of our
passenger base," said Marina Renneke, a San Jose airport spokeswoman. "We
visited Orlando and saw the benefit and thought we can't pass up the
opportunity to do this here, to be one of the first airports in the
country to offer this."
   Travelers who pay for the new service will still have to walk through
metal detectors, remove their shoes and put their belongings through X-ray
machines. But instead of waiting in a long line to get there, they'll
enter a dedicated lane, go to a machine that looks like an ATM, insert
their registered traveler card, place a fingertip on a scanner and stare
into an iris reader. Then, they'll proceed immediately to the checkpoint.
   Some Bay Area air travelers said they would eagerly hand over $80 for the
right to breeze through security checkpoints, especially if they would be
exempted from random secondary testing, as is the case in Orlando.
   "In a heartbeat," said Bob Cullinan of San Rafael. "Why? I take quite a
few international trips for business, and it never fails. Every time I'm
late or in a hurry, I get pulled out of the line and given the once-over.
If I could avoid that, it would be well-worth the 80 bucks."
   But others said it could invade their privacy or objected to the cost and
the notion of allowing people to buy their way out of waiting.
   "I really think it's ridiculous that it has come to the point where we
have to pay money in order to get quickly through the airport," said
Paulette Greenhouse of Newark. "It shouldn't have to be this way."
   Other travelers said they hoped the service would become available at mo=
re
airports. San Francisco International Airport, the Bay Area's largest, has
been discussing the program but doesn't have a plan, said spokesman Mike
McCarron. Oakland International Airport spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes
referred questions to the security administration.
   Eventually, special technology could be used in the express lanes that
would exempt registered travelers from having to remove their shoes or
turn on their laptop computers, said Cindy Rosenthal, a spokeswoman for
Verified ID, the company contracting with airports in San Jose and
Orlando.
   About 12,000 travelers have signed up for the program in Orlando, which =
is
the first in the nation run by a private company. In addition to San Jose,
Verified is in negotiations with Sacramento International Airport and has
bid on a contract with Indianapolis' airport.
   The program is part of a Transportation Security Administration effort to
make airport screening more efficient. The Washington Post reported this
week that the agency would lift its ban on small scissors and other sharp
objects, which reportedly are found in one of every four bags and removed.
At SFO, General Electric Homeland Protection is preparing to open a
security laboratory in the international terminal to test new screening
devices, including some that could allow travelers to get through security
without taking off their shoes.
   A TSA official called San Jose's announcement hasty, saying the agency w=
as
working out details for how the program would work.
   "I hate to characterize it as (San Jose) airport jumped the gun, because
we're committed to doing all we can to enhance the passenger experience,"
said Nico Melendez, an agency spokesman. "But we want to make sure we roll
this out the right way and include all of the airports that want to be
included. How it will be rolled out and how many airports will be included
has not been determined yet. But that's not to say San Jose won't be one
of them."
   The San Jose airport's announcement says that Verified ID, the company
operating the Orlando test project, will begin enrolling passengers within
30 days of approval by TSA and will open the express lanes within 90 days.
   Melendez said the agency expected to have a plan ready for the national
program by the end of January "and to be screening the first registered
traveler by June."
   Steven Brill, a journalist and entrepreneur who is chief executive offic=
er
of Verified ID, said his company had spent two years selling airports on
its technology and the registered traveler program.

   E-mail Michael Cabanatuan at mcabanatuan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --------------=
Copyright 2005 SF Chronicle