Re: Boeing Jet's 13,422-Mile Flight a Record

Yourcorrect in that the distance in statue miles is 10,842 miles.   However, this still makes it difficult for the aircraft to consistently fly the LON/SYD route nonstop consistently in either direction because of required fuel reserves.

According the FAR's - and I'm sure this applies to other countries as well - an aircraft must have fuel reserves that allow for the following:

- diversion from the destination airport to the furthest away alternate airport
- thirty (45?) minutes holding time

Boeing's web pages says typical city pairs for the -200LR are New York/Singapore, Perth/London, New York/Auckland, Chicago/Sydney, Miami/Taipei.   These flights are approximatley 19 hours.

David R