Re: I did not know some gallies are lengthwise.

A number of long-haul carriers use this configuration.  I've seen
Singapore, Alitalia and Virgin 747-200s with this configuration.

It's an easier 'kitchen' for the crew to work in, service flow tends to
disturb fewer passengers, and the row of seats opposite the galley
(typically, B/C) are a fairly quiet spot.

- Bob