Re: outsourcing

When you are running a business, particularly one on the scale of a major
airline, you want maintainance done to the highest degree possible
(theoretically) because not only is liability an issue, but so is your airline's reputation,
which directly effects the bottom line.  Look at ValuJet and how they bought
another carrier, AirTran, just so they could take on their name.  Even the
billions Joe Leonard stashed away prior to the crash would not have saved them if
Critter was still on their DC-9s and the then coming MD95s (717s).  With
economies of scale, a major airline should be able to perform maintainance in
house at a relatively low cost considering they are not trying to make a profit on
it, just to keep the costs as low as possible without compromising their
position in the marketplace.  In many ways, outsourcing is a false economy, but a
carrier like jetBlue that doesn't have the infrastructure, nor the cash
position to build it will have to outsource until they are able to build up their
own ops.  I hope that long rambling point made clear just why taking your car to
the shop is different than an airline with 80 multi-million dollar airplanes
doing the same.

In a message dated 10/25/2005 12:02:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,