Re: Outsourcing our Safety (JetBlue's Maintenance)

You know, ordinarily I would be all over the fact that B6 contracts their
heavy MX out, particularly to a place with low wages, but there are somethings
that are not shown here.  First, Aeroman (TACA's MX arm) is one of the best out
their at performing heavy MX, and specializes in A320 family aircraft (most of
the TACA fleet is A320 family).  Additionally, the wages TACA does pay are
well above the living wage in El Salvador and working conditions for their
mechanics are quite good.  They are fully certified by Airbus to work on the
aircraft, just like Lufthansa Technik, United Services, Air Canada or any other
airline.  If this was an actual case of abuse or shoddy maintainance, that would
be one thing, but it is not.  In actuality, there have been several gear
twisting incidents on A320 family aircraft, including at least 3 with United and 2
with jetBlue, so I am thinking this is more a design flaw than a maintainance
issue