Re: jet Blue incident

My understanding from the audio of the ARINC patch posted in another
message that the checklist said Land at Nearest Suitable Airport.  Game
over for going on to JFK.  Now the crew and dispatcher have some
discretion in deciding what is "suitable" based on circumstances such as
nature of problem, WX and ARFF.  They may also determine if the nature
of the problem would make an overweight landing a reasonable risk
compared to burring off or dumping fuel (if able).  In the end the
captain can invoke emergency authority to do what ever is required to
save the aircraft, approved or not.

Also, given the choice, I think an emergency landing in daylight is
preferable to doing it in the dark.

Edwards was an option that I that I would have looked at seriously.
Plenty of room if directional control is an issue and you can land right
into the wind.  But I don't know what their ARFF and hospital situation
is there.

Tom