From: The Airline List [mailto:AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of RWM
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 2:45 PM
To: AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: NW-DL poss bankruptcy

Gerard M Foley wrote:

> Don't know if I've said this before here.  If so, I apologize.
>
> It is quite possible that air passenger transportation in the U.S. may
> go the way of all other forms of public transportation - subsidy or quit.
>
> The automobile is a fierce competitor.  Although its actual costs are
> quite high, a major part of the cost is the initial purchase.  Once
> the car is bought, it is very difficult to convince the owner not to
> use it.
>
> The result is that the public transportation facility, rail, bus,
> subway, and maybe airline too, finds that there is no fare point at
> which costs can be recovered.   Drop the fare and the added volume
> costs more than the added income.  Raise the fare and the reduced
> volume won't pay the fixed costs. The public always has two other
> options - drive or stay home.
>
> Gerry

Excellent points, Gerry.  Indeed, Southwest is fully cognizant that its
pricing affects the modal split between private and public ground transport
and travel by air.  This is one of the reasons they only reluctantly raise
fares by $2-4 each-way, when network carriers file for $20 increases.
Fundamentally different views of price elasticity and as a result,
approaches to pricing.

- Bob Mann

--
R.W. Mann & Company, Inc.   >>  Airline Industry Analysis
Port Washington, NY  11050  >>  tel 516-944-0900, fax -7280

This e-mail is for the designated recipient only and may contain
privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it
in error, please notify the above sender immediately then delete
the original e-mail.  Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.