Re: NW-DL poss bankruptcy

Don't know if I've said this before here.  If so, I apologize.

It is quite possible that air passenger transportation in the U.S. may go
the way of all other forms of public transportation - subsidy or quit.

The automobile is a fierce competitor.  Although its actual costs are quite
high, a major part of the cost is the initial purchase.  Once the car is
bought, it is very difficult to convince the owner not to use it.

The result is that the public transportation facility, rail, bus, subway,
and maybe airline too, finds that there is no fare point at which costs can
be recovered.   Drop the fare and the added volume costs more than the added
income.  Raise the fare and the reduced volume won't pay the fixed costs.
The public always has two other options - drive or stay home.

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/
http://www.wilowud.net/
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley