Re: Air France Crash - Toronto Pearson International - YYZ

Bryant / All:

Good discussion threads.  If I may borrow from one of
them titled 'Congratulations Air France Crew,' I had
heard one woman say that the crew 'didn't seem to know
what they were doing.' And that a crew member tried to
keep everyone calm, by saying that 'the situation was
under control,' when it became clear to the passengers
that it wasn't.  I guess opinions will differ as there
were many passengers with many different vantage
points.

When I heard about the incident, I thought 'Wow! The
pilots did a heck of a job! Trying to control a flying
tin-can (Sorry. Just aged vernacular here. No insult
intended.)  packed-full of people moving at a high
speed with winds from a storm-front close by, deserves
heroism.  But then again, one might question why they
chose to land during those conditions?

Like the BA incident earlier this year, when they
chose to continue flying their B-747 across the
Atlantic on two engines with the idea maybe, to  stick
to a schedule, the Air France crew might have been
under similar pressure to complete the trip on time,
versus landing in, Montreal or Chicago, or Halifax and
then continue on when the weather cleared.

I haven't heard anything on the news this evening, but
what has the airline said?  The only talking heads
appear to be the airport media and the local /
national news folks?  The black boxes have been found.
 That  is on Yahoo! at the moment.

This is an interesting one.  Like yesterday's story of
1800 U.S. soldiers dead in Iraq since the war started,
the public has questioned the decision of the US and
Great Britain going into this particular war.  Perhaps
the world aviation community might question the Air
France pilots' decision to land at Toronto at that
particular moment in time?  We'll have to wait and
see.

--- Mike Burris
     Cambridge, Mass

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2252963/