Re: Wow!

A Dark Night and Then, 'Is That an Aircraft in Front of Us?'

By MATTHEW L. WALD
Published: July 26, 2005

WASHINGTON, July 25 - With his plane hurtling down a Kennedy International
Airport runway at nearly 100 miles per hour, the first officer of a DC-8
cargo jet looked ahead through the darkness and driving rain and asked the
captain sitting at his left, "Is that an aircraft in front of us?"

The captain who gave the account was acting as the co-pilot, and as his
eyes alternated between the windows and the instrument panel, he looked
ahead but did not see anything. But the first officer saw what he thought
were lights, the captain said, and asked again, "Is that an aircraft in
front of us?" He swiftly took action, pulling back on the yoke and lifting
the roaring jet's nose sharply into the air.

A disaster was averted by the narrowest of margins: the ABX Air DC-8
missed a fully loaded Israir Boeing 767, with 262 people on board, by 75
feet at the nose, the captain estimated, and as little as 45 feet at the
tail, which was much lower because of the angle of the plane during its
ascent. The July 6 incident, in which the 767 taxied onto an active runway
shortly before 2 a.m. while preparing to take off, is being investigated
by the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation
Safety Board.

In an interview on Sunday night, the captain of the cargo plane, Kerry
McMahon, gave his first public account of the dramatic seconds when the
two planes nearly collided. The first officer, who has not been identified
by ABX, "did an outstanding job," Mr. McMahon said. "I'm glad I was flying
with him that night."

Mr. McMahon said the two planes avoided collision because his plane was
not carrying cargo and because the first officer decided shortly before
takeoff to use full-power settings because of the weather. Had that not
been the case, he said, the cargo plane would never have made it over the
767 flown by Israir, an Israeli carrier.

"We were empty," Mr. McMahon said. "To me, that's the reason we missed
that aircraft. If we had been loaded down, we would probably have hit
him."

The captain's account of the early morning of July 6 and the evening
before, delivered in the dry tones of a professional pilot who once flew
for the military, lays out - in sometimes harrowing detail - the countless
minor events that brought the planes so close to each other on that rainy
night in the middle of one the nation's busiest airports. A separate
interview with an Israeli government investigator jibes with Mr. McMahon's
account, and provides some insight into the experience of the Israir
plane's crew.

Mr. McMahon, 56, said he had been flying for ABX, previously Airborne
Express, since 1991, and that this was the closest he had come to a
collision in civilian flying, although he had seen some near-collisions in
his long flying career in the Army and the Marines.

The 767 had stopped halfway down the runway, at a place where planes about
to take off are typically moving at more than 100 miles per hour, nearly
fast enough to become airborne. The Israeli government's chief air safety
investigator, Itzhak Raz, said Israir's crew members told him that they
had seen the DC-8's lights and thought someone was taxiing toward them.

"I don't want to say it 100 percent, but it's very possible that at this
time, they were like freezing for a second, praying to God not to have an
accident," Mr. Raz said of the Israeli crew. "It was very close."

A spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board said that her
agency was still waiting for audio and radar tapes and other information
from the Federal Aviation Administration. The F.A.A.'s preliminary report,
which Mr. Raz said matched what he knew so far, found that the Israir
plane had missed a turn onto a taxiway and ended up on the runway instead.
According to Israir, which began serving Kennedy Airport from Tel Aviv in
March, the plane held 250 passengers, 9 flight attendants and 3 pilots.
The DC-8 carried a crew of three.

Israeli officials, who asked not to be identified because the incident is
still under investigation, said the captain of the Israir flight had been
suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

Mr. McMahon said that he and his first officer and flight engineer
reported for work the night of July 5 at the airline's Wilmington, Ohio,
hub, as a "reserve crew," ready to fill in for pilots who called in sick,
or to handle other unexpected problems.

And there was one: a DC-8 at Kennedy needed a replacement part, and Mr.
McMahon and his crew flew in with one. The crew already at Kennedy took
the plane that Mr. McMahon had flown in, with their cargo loaded on board,
back to Wilmington. After the damaged plane was fixed, Mr. McMahon was
assigned to fly it out.

It is typical at airlines for the captain and the first officer to
alternate roles during takeoffs. In the flight from Kennedy, Mr. McMahon
said, it was his turn to serve as the "nonflying pilot," and as the plane
approached the runway, it began raining hard.

Airline policy at ABX is to take off at reduced power settings, a practice
that requires traveling more distance on the runway before takeoff but
limits wear on the engines, he said. But because of the weather, the first
officer asked if he could use full power. "I said, it's your leg, you make
the decision, and he said he's more comfortable with that," Mr. McMahon
said.

As the plane accelerated down the runway, the first officer looked out the
windshield and the captain managed the radio communications and focused
alternately on the windshield and the instrument panel. The plane was
moving at more than 80 knots, or nearly 100 miles per hour, when the first
officer asked whether there was an aircraft in their path. Mr. McMahon
looked but did not see one. It was far too late to stop, he said - they
could have steered off the runway and into the dirt, but probably would
have hit the Boeing anyway.

After the first officer asked again, "Is that an aircraft in front of us?"
he pulled back on the yoke, lifting the nose, a maneuver known to pilots
as rotation. But once he had spotted the passenger jet, he pulled back
hard so the climb would be abnormally steep, Mr. McMahon said.

The captain estimated that his cockpit was probably only about 75 feet
above the fuselage of the 767, and that since his plane was 187 feet long
and was pointed up very steeply, the tail was much lower. Mr. Raz
calculated that if the DC-8 were at a 10-degree angle, its tail would have
been about 45 feet above the fuselage. Fully loaded, the top of the Boeing
767 fuselage is about 23.5 feet off the ground. The tail rises about 30
feet above that.

The unauthorized presence of a plane or other vehicle on an active runway,
known as "runway incursion," has been a major concern for years. In order
to prevent it, the intersection at Kennedy Airport through which the
Israir plane mistakenly crossed has a line of amber and red lights
embedded in the concrete.

"After we got over him and I knew we didn't hit him, I called the tower
and told them there was an aircraft on the runway," Mr. McMahon said. The
tower controller did not immediately respond, he said, and Mr. McMahon
repeated the information, to be sure the controllers on the ground
understood the problem before clearing another aircraft for takeoff. "Do
you understand, that there's an aircraft on Runway 22, right?" Mr. McMahon
said he repeated.

Mr. McMahon said there was a slight pause, and the controller replied,
"Yes, we're talking to him now."

Mr. McMahon did not find fault with the Israir crew. He said that in the
dark, it was easy to get lost. "I've been there with bad weather before,
and I can put myself in the same position as the other captain," he said.
"He basically missed that turn, and I can see why."

Mr. Raz said of the first officer, "It was a very good decision to take
off and not to try to stop or steer from the runway." He added, "It was
very, very lucky, that's for sure."