Fwd: JetBlue continues to shun SFO due to higher fees

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "6/6 SF Examiner" <batn@xxxx> wrote:
Published Monday, June 6, 2005, in the San Francisco Examiner

JetBlue continues to pass on SFO
"World's best" airline prefers lower-fee local airports

By Mary F. Albert

BURLINGAME -- For the second year in a row, JetBlue Airways has earned
the title of "World's Best Low-Cost Carrier" from travelers around the
globe.

But those looking to fly out of San Francisco International Airport
may have to wait a few more years before they can board the airline's
new aircraft, which is loaded with leather seats and satellite
television.

Although the New York-based carrier continues to expand flight
offerings at Oakland International and Norman Y. Mineta San Jose
International airports, it has no immediate plans to launch service at
SFO.

"We'd like to carry customers where they want to go.  Eventually that
means serving SFO," said Dave Ulmer, JetBlue's vice president of
planning.  "[But] for right now, we are happy with the flights we have
in Oakland and service in San Jose is doing well."

The carrier, which recently added a second flight from San Jose to
John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, has gained
popularity in recent years.

In a survey released Thursday by London-based Skytrax Research,
JetBlue won the title of "World's Best Low-Cost Carrier" based on
surveys conducted between June 2004 and May 2005.

More than 12 million air travelers from more than 94 countries were
surveyed.

"I love JetBlue," said Rita Patel, who maintains a residence in San
Francisco and another in San Diego.  "It is super cheap.  And I think
they have better cocktails."

While Patel predominantly flies with United Airlines, she said she
would likely switch allegiances if JetBlue were to launch operations
at SFO.

Airline executives selected Oakland over SFO in 2000 to provide new
service between New York and the Bay Area because Oakland had cheaper
fees and was less congested, said Ulmer.

SFO also lost Southwest Airlines to Oakland and San Jose.  Since then,
the airport's planners have secured tenancies from low-cost carriers
WestJet and Independence Air.

But to those cost-conscious travelers who would prefer to fly out of
SFO, the news that they would have to continue commuting to Oakland or
San Jose to catch low-cost flights on Southwest or JetBlue came as a
disappointment.

"It is really about the rates," said San Francisco resident Spencer
Murray, who regularly drives to Oakland to catch flights on Southwest.
"[Crossing the Bay Bridge] can make a difference of a couple hundred
bucks."

E-mail: malbert@xxxx
--- End forwarded message ---