SFGate: Irish Airline Ryanair's Profit Up

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2005/05/31/financial/=
f064527D12.DTL
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 (AP)
Irish Airline Ryanair's Profit Up
By SHAWN POGATCHNIK, Associated Press Writer

   (05-31) 06:57 PDT DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) --

   Irish budget airline Ryanair reported better-than-expected profits
Tuesday, citing its stringent cost controls and continued growth in
passenger numbers and routes across western Europe.

   For the full year ending March 31, the Dublin-based airline said its net
profit rose 29 percent to 266.7 million euros ($330.7 million) from 206.6
million euros in fiscal 2004 — about 10 percent better than most
analysts expected. Revenues rose 24 percent to 1.34 billion euros ($1.66
billion) from 1.07 billion euros last year.

   Chief Executive Michael O'Leary said European flag-carrier airlines were
reducing their services "in markets where they compete with Ryanair." He
said Ryanair also was expanding into eastern Europe and raising pressure
on its main no-frills rival: the Luton, England-based easyJet.

   "We have been most encouraged by the strong advance bookings at our new
Luton and Liverpool bases, where passengers are looking for an alternative
to easyJet's high prices," he said.

   "Recently we announced five new routes from London to Poland and Slovakia
and expect that these will be the first in a series of new route
announcements over the coming weeks for next winter," he said.

   O'Leary predicted an even better 2006 for the airline, which was launched
20 years ago operating a single route between London and the southeast
Irish city of Waterford. Today it operates 220 routes in 19 countries.

   "If our competitors continue to maintain (fuel) surcharges or continue to
remove capacity from our markets, then yields should be more stable, even
as we continue to expand," he said.

   "Advance bookings for the summer months are strong, and we are raising o=
ur
traffic growth forecast for the coming year from 34 million to 35
million," he said.

   Ryanair's shares rose 5.6 percent in afternoon trade on the Irish Stock
Exchange to 6.60 euros ($8.20).

   Analysts agreed that Ryanair appeared poised for continued growth and
would benefit from unusually shrewd forward planning.

   They cited Ryanair's February deal with Boeing for at least 70 new 737-8=
00
aircraft — locking in the dollar's near-record weakness versus the
euro — and the airline's advance purchase of 75 percent of its
winter fuel requirements at rates equivalent to $47 a barrel. Oil was
trading Tuesday near $52 a barrel.

   "They're pretty good numbers all round. The trading statement is pretty
bullish as well," said analyst Shane Matthews at NCB Stockbrokers in
Dublin.

   Joe Gill, an analyst for Goodbody Stockbrokers in Dublin, said Ryanair's
"bookings are exceptionally strong. With their orders for Boeing already
in, it's hard to see how they're going to show profits weakness over the
next year."

   ___

   On the Net: www.ryanair.com

Copyright 2005 AP