SFGate: Boeing Is a Favorite in Japan

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/n/a/2005/05/30/financial/=
f124710D38.DTL
Monday, May 30, 2005 (AP)
Boeing Is a Favorite in Japan
By YURI KAGEYAMA, AP Business Writer

   (05-30) 12:47 PDT TOKYO, Japan (AP) --

   At a time when its global competition against European rival Airbus is
intensifying, at least one country can't seem to get enough of Boeing
— Japan.

   The U.S. aircraft maker has a half-century partnership here not only with
the airlines but also government officials and major manufacturers. And
the ties have grown deeper with Boeing Co.'s latest offering — the
787 Dreamliner, a smaller, fuel-efficient passenger jet.

   It was fitting that Boeing and Japan Airlines co-sponsored a gala dinner
Monday, the opening day of an annual summit here for the air transport
industry.

   A new era of cost-efficient travel centered around the two new jet
offerings — the 787 and Airbus' A380 — is topping the agenda
for the World Air Transport Summit, and has drawn about 600 officials from
airlines, airports, manufacturers and civil aviation groups in Tokyo.

   At the two-day meeting organized by the International Air Transport
Organization, which represents 265 airlines, officials are protesting
meddling from protective governments and taxes on airfares that burden
airlines as the industry struggles with ballooning oil prices and security
costs.

   "We will be flying now the Airbus 380 and the 787, but the rules are
exactly the same," said IATA Chief Executive Giovanni Bisignani. "We need
change from government. We need vision, and we have to be able to play and
compete in a fair world."

   Although Airbus SAS has outsold Boeing in recent years in the rest of the
world, controlling more than half of the commercial aircraft market,
Airbus is such a stranger in Japan that Chief Commercial Officer John
Leahy has joked that its market share here is zero, and publicly
criticized Chicago-based Boeing's domination here as a price-raising
"monopoly."

   Earlier this year, Airbus appointed former Deputy Assistant U.S. Trade
Representative Glen Fukushima, who boasts personal ties in Japan, as
president of its Japanese unit in an effort to fight Boeing.

   There have been no Japan orders for Airbus' 840-seat "superjumbo" A380,
expected to enter commercial service next year. The 787 Dreamliner, which
seats 200 to 300 passengers, is set to be delivered in 2008.

   Japan's ANA, or All Nippon Airways, was the first to place orders for the
787 last year. ANA and Japan Airlines have ordered a combined 80.
Worldwide, 21 airlines have announced orders and commitments for 261
Dreamliners.

   Boeing says it's more than human networking that's making the 787 such a
hit with the Japanese.

   "We know very, very thoroughly from years and years of cooperation and
partnership what their requirements are, and we strive to fulfill their
requirements in every aspect of our business," Boeing Vice President R.
Wade Cornelius said in a recent interview.

   Boeing also shrugs off the A380 strategy, saying it's relieved Airbus is
making a giant jet because Boeing won't have to make them. Mike Bair, who
oversees the 787 team, says demand for the 787 is expected to be in the
thousands while demand for A380 will likely stay in the hundreds.

   Airbus, on the other hand, is hoping even Boeing-loyal Japan will jump on
the bandwagon and start ordering A380, feeling obligation-free because
there's no comparable Boeing offering, says Airbus manager Takahiro
Nosaka.

   But a long-standing partnership with big names in the Japanese corporate
world commands great respect — and political clout — in a
nation where manufacturing giants were the pillars of modernization and
loyalty and tradition tend to count.

   There's no doubt Japanese manufacturers have a big stake in the success =
of
the 787.

   Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd. is designing and building the plane's
wing — the first time a company other than Boeing will do so. Fuji
Heavy Industries Ltd. will handle design and assembly of the center wing
stub, and Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd. will provide part of the
fuselage, the body of the plane.

   The companies built about 21 percent of the Boeing 777 airframe and 15
percent of the 767, but will be responsible for 35 percent of the 787.
Boeing is even billing the 787 as "Made With Japan."

Copyright 2005 AP