From: "Matthew Montano" <mmontano@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <AIRLINE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 5:26 PM
Subject: Airline fares/routing

For those in the know, I have a question.

The old/current philosophy was that the airline would offer a fare
based on a city-pair. i.e. SEA/TPA and for the most part, no matter
which hub or airline you went through (IAD/ATL/DEN/ORD/DTW/MSP) you
likely find about the same fare. (plus and minus airport taxes and
such.)

The result was for say SEA/OMAha, UAL could take you through DEN or
ORD. But from a pure cost perspective, taking you through ORD would
be more expensive as you are essentially backtracking.

One argument was that if the airline had an empty seat OMA-ORD, ORD-
SEA it didn't matter.

But now that virtually every flight I've been on for months are full,
and airlines still loosing money, is there anything in the pricing
systems that prevent routings that cost more money than others?

Matthew