Fwd: Virgin America low-cost airline may not fly until 2006

--- In BATN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "2/4 SF Business Times" <batn@xxxx>
wrote:

Published Friday, February 4, 2005, in San Francisco Business Times

Virgin America faces delays
Financing, federal OK likely to push takeoff to 2006

By Eric Young

Virgin America, the startup low-cost airline with operational
headquarters in the Bay Area, likely won't get off the ground until
2006.

After agreeing last year to base most of its business on the
Peninsula, Virgin America said service was scheduled to begin this
year. But before it can take to the air, Virgin America must line
up U.S. investors and get approval from the U.S. Department of
Transportation -- a task that involves answering more than 22,000
questions.

"Our research shows that in the best-case scenario, we could launch
between nine and 12 months after we file with DOT," said Virgin
America spokeswoman Stacy Geagan. "We still have a few months when
we could launch in 2005, but as we get later in the year it's
possible it will be in 2006" before Virgin America carries its first
passengers.

Conceived by British billionaire Richard Branson, Virgin America
has said it will hire more than 1,500 flight attendants, pilots,
maintenance technicians, engineers, dispatchers and other workers at
its operational headquarters along the Peninsula. Another 300 people
are expected to work in executive offices in New York. Anxious to
attract those promised jobs, Bay Area and California officials last
year offered Virgin America more than $15 million in grants and
financial incentives to locate here.

The airline has 12 employees working in temporary space in
Burlingame. They are helping the airline compile data to prepare for
Virgin America's DOT application, said Bob Weatherly, the airline's
senior vice president of flight operations.

The airline has not yet finalized a lease for its operational
headquarters in the Forbes Building in Burlingame, an Equity Office
Property near Highway 101, according to sources familiar with the
deal.

Before the airline can submit flight applications to the federal
government, it must secure financing. Weatherly, in a speech last
week before San Mateo convention and visitors officials, said the
airline is "well into the equity process" but declined to elaborate.
Two British newspapers, citing Branson, reported within the last
month that Virgin America's financing will be concluded over the
next few months. Geagan would not confirm the reports.

The airline likely needs to raise at least $100 million, according
to airline industry consultants, some of whom draw parallels between
Virgin America and low-cost Jetblue Airways Corp. New York-based
Jetblue launched in 2000 with $130 million. Under U.S. law, Branson
cannot own more than 49 percent of a U.S.-based airline because he
is a foreign citizen.

Some airline consultants said Virgin America might be having a
difficult time lining up investors because the industry is in a
slump. Globally, airlines were expected to lose $5 billion in 2004,
largely due to sharp rises in fuel prices, according to the
International Air Transport Association.

"Are you going to invest in an airline when everything you read says
this is a bad industry?" asked Michael Boyd, president of the Boyd
Group aviation consultancy.

While acknowledging the poor state of the industry, Virgin America
executives said they will offer an attractive service and believe
their business model will work.

"We see opportunities in attracting customers looking for low fares
as well as a high-quality experience," Geagan said. "We believe that
opportunity exists."

Virgin America said it will take possession of Airbus A319 and A320
aircraft later this year. Those planes seat approximately 124 and
150 passengers, respectively. The airline won't say how many they
expect this year. But Fred Reid, head of the startup airline, said
last year Virgin America had agreements to buy and lease up to 105
aircraft.

Eric Young covers transportation for the San Francisco Business
Times.

[BATN: See also:

Virgin budget airline may not launch before 2006
--- End forwarded message ---