Ryanair hit by soaring fuel costs

 From the BBC  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4221563.stm

Ryanair, Europe's biggest low-cost airline, has reported a 26% drop in=20
quarterly profit after it lowered fares and the price of fuel soared.
Net profit was 35m euros ($45.5m; =A324m) in the three months ending 31=20
December, from 47.5m euros a year earlier.
Despite the fall, the earnings were better than expected and Ryanair was=20
bullish about its prospects.
The Dublin-based carrier forecast that more of its competitors would go=20
bust, helping secure future profit growth.

Shrinking market?

"As predicted, casualties continue in the European industry," said=20
Ryanair's chief executive Michael O'Leary, citing firms including Volare,=20
VBird and Air Polonia.
He added that companies including Italy's Alitalia and Scandinavia's SAS=20
have posted record losses, while others such as Hapag Lloyd Express,=20
MyTravel Lite and Basiq Air "have announced significant reversals of=
 capacity".

"This is not a temporary phenomenon resulting from high oil prices, but a=20
permanent market shift towards low cost air travel," Mr O'Leary said.

Fuel factor

Ryanair's passenger volumes during the October to December period grew by=20
13% to 6.9 million. Total sales climbed 15% to 294.4m euros.
Average revenues per passenger were unchanged in the third quarter compared=
=20
with the same period a year earlier.
Crude prices, however, hit record levels last year, boosting the cost of=20
jet fuel.
"Fuel prices remain high and will continue to impact our future guidance,"=
=20
said Mr O'Leary.
The company said that it has negotiated new fuel contracts and covered=20
almost all of its exposure to world petroleum prices.

Trials

The airline was upbeat about its prospects for the full-year.
"We think we've had a very strong performance in the third-quarter and will=
=20
be upgrading our full-year guidance to 246 million euros," said chief=20
financial officer Howard Millar.
However, not so successful has been Ryanair's trial of a new onboard=20
entertainment service offering videos and music for =A35 a flight.
The carrier said it may abandon plans to roll out the system to its entire=
=20
fleet after a "disappointing" trial.
It blamed a lack of availability of non-English language content programmes.

Ryanair had hoped its passengers would pay =A35 to watch Hollywood films,=20
chart videos, cartoons and comedy classics as they flew.