Girl Scout leaders meet to learn ways to keep girls interested

Girl Scout leaders meet to learn ways to keep girls interested

Published in the Asbury Park Press 1/23/05
By JOE ZEDALIS
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
DOVER TOWNSHIP -- At one of the lunch tables in the cafeteria of Toms River Intermediate School East Saturday, the giggles and screams became so loud everyone turned around to see what triggered the clatter.

There, Girl Scout leaders cackled at their inability to keep the rhythm of the lummi stick exercise. Just imagine the laughs when the scouts try it.

The Ocean County Girl Scout Council held its annual Blizzard Day -- a series of workshops to help volunteers develop new ideas to keep the girls interested in scouting while dealing with their personal needs.

"We are competing with sports, dance and music, and keeping the girls together as a group as they become older becomes more difficult," said Terry Scortino of Beachwood, an assistant troop leader for a group of girls 9-11 years of age.

"All the activities we saw today use materials that are inexpensive and teach team work."

Some of the workshops included fun with science, conflict resolution, team-building games, diversity awareness, lummi sticks and the ever-popular 101 things to do with duct tape.

The volunteers were taught how to make wallets -- complete with pockets for credit cards. A couple of the more energetic scout leaders made purses complete with shoulder strap.

Participants in the duct tape workshops were informed everything from sneakers to prom dresses can be made from duct tape.
"The girls are absolutely going to love it," Pat Gorczycz of South Toms River said. "I was curious to see what could be made from duct tape. It teaches you to be creative."

Jamie Albany of Jackson made a wallet for her son.

"My husband loves duct tape," Albandy said. "I had to come to find out all the things he could do with it.

"I deal with eighth-grade girls and I think they will love the ideas."

Carol diMarco, the Ocean County Director of Volunteer Development, said 85 volunteers signed up for the event and 50 showed up despite the snow.

"We hope to show volunteers the skills necessary for fun activities and how to talk with the girls," diMarco said.

"The mission of the Girl Scouts as always been to give girls the best and safest program available. Events like this insure that happening."

Joe Zedalis: (732) 557-5735 or joeze@xxxxxxx

Roger
EWROPS