SFGate: 20 years later, memories of air disaster still strong

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2005/01/20/s=
tate1458EST0087.DTL
Thursday, January 20, 2005 (AP)
20 years later, memories of air disaster still strong

   (01-20) 15:35 PST RENO, Nev. (AP) --
   Mike D'Amico remembers driving one of the fire trucks first to arrive on
the scene of the worst airplane crash in Reno history at 1:04 a.m. Jan.
21, 1985.
   Friday marks the 20th anniversary of the disaster that claimed the lives
of 70 passengers and crew members when Galaxy Flight 203 went down and
exploded shortly after takeoff from Reno-Cannon International Airport,
since renamed Reno-Tahoe.
   D'Amico, still an airport firefighter, remembers the crash scene on that
early morning after Super Bowl Sunday.
   "Everything was black," said D'Amico, 49, who was unable to distinguish
bodies amid the wreckage, at first.
   "You couldn't make out a body until you actually saw one. Once you saw
one, you saw them all," he told the Reno Gazette-Journal in an interview
this week.
   There would be only one survivor, George Lamson Jr., 17, of Minnesota, w=
ho
was miraculously thrown clear of the burning wreckage.
   "One of the first things we saw was the boy," said George Kitchen, who w=
as
a captain in the Reno Fire Department leading a crew from station No. 6 in
south Reno.
   "He was still strapped in his seat out on South Virginia Street. He was
conscious. We gave him first aid until the medics got there," he told the
newspaper.
   The Lockheed L-188A Electra, a four-engine turboprop, took off from
Reno-Cannon, on its way to Minneapolis-St. Paul early on that Monday
morning. There were six crew members and 65 passengers who'd spent the
weekend of Super Bowl XIX at Lake Tahoe on a gambling junket.
   It was a charter flight operated by Galaxy Airlines.
   "We saw it crash," said Floyd Arterburn, who still lives with his wife,
Jeanne, near the accident site. "My boy and I ran out to South Virginia
Street. Somebody was screaming out in the field."
   The plane crashed south of the airport runway in a field on the east side
of South Virginia.
   The pilot was trying to return to Reno-Cannon for an emergency landing
after reporting a severe vibration, possibly caused by an open
service-access door under one wing.
   The National Transportation Safety Board report said the plane went down
when the pilot, Allen Heasley, reacted to the vibration incorrectly by
ordering an engine power reduction.
   Two other passengers survived the crash impact and fire but died later of
injuries and burns. One was Lamson's father, George Lamson Sr. The other
was Robert Miggins. Both were from Minnesota.
   "By the time we got there, the only parts that were visible were one
engine and one wing," D'Amico said. "The building on the east side of the
street was burning. There were two motor homes. It almost looked like
they'd been parked (in the middle of) Virginia Street."
   The building was a recreational vehicle dealership.
   "We theorized that the plane hit short of this ditch, went up in the air
and dropped on those motor homes," said D'Amico, an original member of the
airport fire department formed in 1980. "The explosions we heard, those
were (motor home) propane tanks going off."
   In the past 20 years, there's been development along South Virginia Stre=
et
where the plane crashed. The fields are filled with retail stores and
office buildings. If a plane crashed today, there would be more objects to
hit.
   "It would be terrible," Kitchen said.
   The crash came just hours after northern Nevada and the rest of the
country celebrated one of the nation's biggest unofficial holidays Super
Bowl Sunday.
   D'Amico went on duty at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 20, to work a 24-hour shift. He a=
nd
the other firefighters at the airport watched Super Bowl XIX on television
as the San Francisco 49ers defeated the Miami Dolphins 38-16 at Stanford
Stadium. 49ers quarterback Joe Montana threw three touchdown passes and
ran for another. D'Amico was happy.
   "I was a Joe Montana fan," D'Amico said.
   At his home on South Virginia Street, Floyd Arterburn watched the Super
Bowl with his son, Joey, and his wife, Jeanne. They stayed up late.
   "It hit a field, hit a ditch, it hit the (motor homes), then it hit the
building," Floyd Arterburn, 69, said of the crash. "That's where it
rested. I was looking at the plane. It just exploded. It exploded three
times."
   D'Amico was asleep in the airport fire station when the emergency call
came.
   "The alarm went off," he said. "It said there was an aircraft down. We
looked out the window. The window faces south. We saw the glow. We knew it
was something bad."
   Kitchen was on duty in the Reno Fire Department's station at Longley Lane
and Mira Loma Drive.
   "It came in as a possible explosion in the area of Meadowood Mall," said
Kitchen, who retired in 1999. "Then we had a report of a possible
helicopter crash."
   Kitchen and his crew arrived at the crash from the south, fighting the
fire from the opposite side of the wreckage from D'Amico and the airport
firefighters.
   "We covered some of the bodies up," Kitchen said.

Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, www.rgj.com

Copyright 2005 AP