Re: SFGate: Code sharing: Same plane, different airfare?

From: "Bill Hough" <psa188@xxxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 9:39 AM
<snip>
   You sometimes find big price differentials for exactly the same flights,
depending on which airline supposedly sells you the ticket. The reason is
"code-sharing," a practice in which airlines put their brand, flight
number and prices on flights actually operated by some other airline. With
the growth of multi-line alliances, code-sharing is getting more prevalent
all the time. The net result is that you now have to check more different
lines than ever to make sure you're getting the best deal.

I say:
I and my children are flying to western Ireland in March.  The flight sold
by Aer Lingus in their A330 is around $750 RT (the price changed upward
while we were trying to choose) when the same seats bought from AA were near
$2000.  BA would knock another hundred off the Aei Lingus price if we flew
to Heathrow on BA and back to Shannon on Aer Lingus, spending another 4
hours early in the morning to do it.

We're coming back through Dublin to save some money, but the time we give up
is in the afternoon.

)8^((

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gfoley9999/