From: dick_friedman@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dick_friedman@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 2:33 PM
To: Fletcher, Robert SPK
Subject: Re: SFGate: Mineta lays out second-term agenda/Transportation
secretary says states will have to pay larger share of Amtrak costs

Bob, Amtrak's "drain on the budget" for it's entire history is about one
month's defense department budget.  In the 30+ years of Amtrak's =
existence,
no one was deliberately killed by decisions of Amtrak's management.  The
same can't be said of the defense department.  Since he's the head of
FedDOT, he must know that the Fed gov't pays 92% of the cost of =
interstate
highway construction, and 100% of air traffic control costs.  So maybe =
the
states should agree to put up 8% of interstate rail costs and none of =
its
operating costs.

Oh, and by the way, NASA will get $18.5 billion to put one team on Mars.
That would fund Amtrak for two decades!  I hope Mineta and that crowd =
fry
in hell for what they are doing to the American travelling public.

Richard L. Friedman
Caltrans Division of Rail
Marketing Branch