SFGate: Southwest Airlines working to erase limits on flights

=20
This article was sent to you by someone who found it on SFGate.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=3D/news/archive/2004/12/05/f=
inancial1642EST0018.DTL
Sunday, December 5, 2004 (AP)
Southwest Airlines working to erase limits on flights

   (12-05) 13:42 PST DALLAS (AP) --
   Southwest Airlines Co. is promising a "grass-roots campaign" to repeal a
federal amendment that restricts flights at its home airport in Dallas
from flying anywhere but other cities in Texas and nearby states.
   Chief executive Gary Kelly said the airline intends to use the political
clout it has acquired over the last 25 years to overturn the Wright
Amendment.
   The 1979 federal law, designed to protect sprawling Dallas-Fort Worth
International Airport, prohibits all but the smallest passenger planes
from flying between Love Field and anywhere beyond Texas and seven nearby
states.
   As a result, Southwest cannot offer direct service to many big U.S.
cities, including Los Angeles and Chicago.
   But to overturn the law, Southwest and its allies will need to convince
Congress that the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport no longer needs protection.
The amendment's defenders say it's still necessary.
   Southwest, which has become the nation's largest airline by total domest=
ic
passengers, remains an underdog by traditional measures of political
power, legislative experts say.
   Federal records show the airline and its executives make smaller politic=
al
campaign contributions and spend less on lobbying than opponents,
including Fort Worth-based American Airlines Inc., the Dallas-Fort Worth
Airport and the cities of Fort Worth and Dallas.
   Kelly acknowledges that Southwest is fighting an uphill battle.
   "I am not expecting that we are going to have any extraordinary legal fe=
es
and lobbying efforts to undertake here," he said. "We have got resources,
so if need be, if we have to mount a more serious fight, we have got the
wherewithal to see this fight through."
   He said the airline eventually would triumph because public sentiment is
largely against the Wright Amendment.
   Powerful lawmakers and airport officials from other states would like to
see Southwest expand service to their constituents.
   Southwest says it will channel public opposition to the Wright Amendment
from travelers through a Web site. It also will commission a study to
highlight how low airfares from long-haul Love flights would benefit the
region economically.
   Dan Garton, executive vice president of marketing for American Airlines,
said it's presumptuous to assume that pro-Wright sources would win this
battle on the basis of past lobbying.
   American could lose customers and be forced to cut fares if Love
restrictions are lifted.
   Officials with the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport say they will fight Southwe=
st
in its efforts to repeal the amendment.
   "This will be our highest priority in the coming congressional term," sa=
id
Kevin Cox, the airport's chief operating officer.
   Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, the House Energy and Commerce Committee
chairman, said he is "going to do more than vote against it. I will do
everything I can to make sure (the repeal) doesn't pass."

Copyright 2004 AP