Re: Kalitta Air acident?

Hi Alizera,

That's the story I have clipped in my archive:

Cargo plane loses engine in flight
Thu Oct 21, 1:51 PM ET

CHICAGO (AFP) - Federal aviation officials were searching for an engine that fell off
a Boeing 747 cargo plane in mid-flight, possibly over Lake Michigan in the Great
Lakes region, officials said.
The Kalitta Air jet was en route from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport to New
York's John F. Kennedy International Airport when the pilot radioed air traffic
controllers to alert them to mechanical problems Wednesday.
Controllers instructed the pilot to make an emergency landing in Detroit, Michigan,
officials with the Federal Aviation Administration said.
It was only at that point that officials realised that the jet had not suffered
engine failure, but that one of its four engines had physically disappeared, an FAA
spokeswoman said.
The National Transportation Safety Board and the FAA are collaborating to find the
errant engine, which officials suspect may have ditched in the drink.
Lake Michigan, approximately 118 miles wide and 925 feet deep a its deepest point, is
the second-largest Great Lake. It separates Michigan from Illinois, which is home to
Chicago.

brgds from Vienna,

Manfred