Big thorn in UAL's side: fat fliers

Bulky passengers weigh down planes, push up fuel costs =

 (AP) =97 Heavy suitcases aren't the only things weighing down airplanes =
and requiring them to burn more fuel, pushing up the cost of flights. A n=
ew government study reveals that airlines increasingly have to worry more=
 about the weight of their passengers. =

America's growing waistlines are hurting the bottom lines of airline comp=
anies as the extra pounds on passengers are causing a drag on planes. Hea=
vier fliers have created heftier fuel costs, according to the government =
study. =

 =

continued below

Advertisement =

 =

 =

 =

Fuel is the second largest expense UAL Corp.=92s United Airlines faces, b=
ehind labor costs. Rising oil prices, which topped $55 per barrel of crud=
e oil recently, will cause United=92s fuel costs to rise by about $150 mi=
llion for the second half of 2004, bringing its total fuel costs $1.2 bil=
lion over budget for the year. The Elk Grove Township-based carrier antic=
ipates that its 2005 fuel expenses will be $475 million higher than previ=
ously estimated, according to a filing with a U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Ch=
icago last month (ChicagoBusiness.com,. Oct. 27). =

Larger loads

Through the 1990s, the average weight of Americans increased by 10 pounds=
, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The extra =
weight caused airlines to spend $275 million to burn 350 million more gal=
lons of fuel in 2000 just to carry the additional weight of Americans, th=
e federal agency estimated in a recent issue of the American Journal of P=
reventive Medicine. =

"The obesity epidemic has unexpected consequences beyond direct health ef=
fects," said Dr. Deron Burton of the CDC. "Our goal was to highlight one =
area that had not been looked at before." =

The extra fuel burned also had an environmental impact, as an estimated 3=
=2E8 million extra tons of carbon dioxide were released into the air, acc=
ording to the study. =

The agency said its calculations are rough estimates, issued to highlight=
 previously undocumented consequences of the ongoing obesity epidemic. =

The estimates were calculated by determining how much fuel the 10 extra p=
ounds of weight per passenger represented in Department of Transportation=
 airline statistics, Burton said. =

Obesity is a life-or-death struggle in the United States, the underlying =
cause of 400,000 deaths in 2000, a 33 percent jump from 1990. If current =
trends persist, it will become the nation's No. 1 cause of preventable de=
ath, the CDC said earlier this year. =

More than half =97 56 percent =97 of U.S. adults were overweight or obese=
 in the early 1990s, according to a CDC survey. That rose to 65 percent i=
n a similar survey done from 1999 to 2002. =

Although the Air Transport Association of America has not yet validated t=
he CDC data, spokesman Jack Evans said the health agency's appraisal "doe=
s not sound out of the realm of reality." =

With most airlines reporting losses blamed partly on record-high fuel cos=
ts, everything on an airplane is now a weighty issue. Airlines are doing =
everything they can to lighten the load on all aircraft, from wide-body j=
ets to turboprops. Bulky magazines have gone out the door. Metal forks an=
d spoons have been replaced with plastic. Large carry-ons are being scrut=
inized and even heavy materials that used to make up airplane seats are b=
eing replaced with plastic and other lightweight materials. =

"We're dealing in a world of small numbers =97 even though it has a very =
incremental impact" to reduce a 60- to 120-ton aircraft's weight by bumpi=
ng off a few magazines, Evans said. "When you consider airlines are flyin=
g millions of miles, it adds up over time." =

Although passenger bulk has been an issue in the past =97 Dallas-based So=
uthwest Airlines requires large people to buy a second seat for passenger=
 safety and comfort =97 Evans says it's not likely airlines will scrutini=
ze how much passengers weigh in the future. Instead, they are trying to d=
o a better job of estimating passenger weight in figuring out how much fu=
el they need for a flight. =

Seattle-based Alaska Airlines now calculates the weight of children on fl=
ights, instead of using adult-weight formulas for all passengers, Evans s=
aid. =

"Just like we don't control the costs of our fuel, we don't control the w=
eights of our passengers," he said. "Passengers gain weight, but airlines=
 are the ones that go on a diet. It's part of the conundrum we face right=
 now." =

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may n=
ot be published, broadcast or redistributed.

 Previous Story |  =

Roger
EWROPS